• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

74 midget owner Rear end questions

buttercupairplan

Freshman Member
First, don't laugh at my screen name, "Buttercup" is a reference to a Whittman Buttercup aircraft designed in the 30s, of which I built (60%) a copy of before I sold it...the name stuck! :smile:

I own a 74 midget and a 79 midget. The 74 I am working on putting a supercharger on. The 79 is a pile of rust, but has a good engine and transmission. my current problem is putting alloy wheels on the 74, but has wire hubs. I plan on robbing the axle and hubs off the 79 and putting them on the 74 for better hwy cruising and for the bolt on wheels. The 79 has a 3.77 rear end.

Does anyone know if the guts (axles and differential) of the 79 rear end will fit the 74 housing? The reason I want to know is the 79 housing is pretty rusty and has a different parking brake set up that looks like a major PITA to swap out mostly because the brackets that secure it to the axle beam are different and in different locations.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I'm guessing then that you intended your user name to be "buttercupairplane" but the system limits the length of usernames to 16 characters, hens the shortened version that dropped the "e". Anyway, welcome aboard!

Rosato

Freshman Member
Hey Buttercup. Are you wanting to change gear set ? or just axles, hubs and sun gears? The Midget did have two different carrier housing. I don't know what year they changed. The axles and sun gears will fit both. The ring and pinion changed with the carrier. They are C and D carriers. So if you have two C's or two D's they will interchange. I do know the hub bearing are different in wire hubs and bolt on wheels. Make sure you put new thrust washers on your sun wheels.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
You might get more responses to a MG-specific question if you post it in the MG forum..

OP
B

buttercupairplan

Freshman Member
What is a thrust washer on a wheel????

I think I'll just swap out the entire axle/beam/diff assembly, rather than just the axles. I think it will be much easier switching the brake cable than the axles and differential and there will be no guesswork!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Now that you've posted an introduction - You will have better responses to the specific question if you post in the Spridget (or MG) forums