• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR Spray bomb

PeterK

Yoda
Went into my garage today and found the ramp on one side of the lift sticky and shiny with some clearish looking something. Then I saw it. A Rustoleum inverted marking can, for laying out lines on grass fields etc. high visibility pink that blew out out it's can. Was on a shelf for a year or so about 5 feet off the ground. So what was on the lift. My 3A. $hit. If the lift was up, there would have been no damage done.

I got right to work. It covered the driver side apron, nearly the entire hood, mirror, front fender, bumper, cowl some. 1st tried 3M adhesive remover that also removes bugs and tar to pick off the clearing solvent. It dissolved most of the spray (it apparently just happened before I discovered it), I had to pick the pink specks off, some remain, more that I haven't yet found. Then I washed it off with a wet sock and used the 3M again. Then I used some 3M swirl remover. Getting there but the paint has clouded a bit so next I'm going try my Porter Cable polisher next. It's not a trailer queen but a nice 3.

Throw away your old paint. I walked past that can every day and should have reached out and trashed it. Most of the pink leached out around the bottom of the can and did not get sprayed, thankfully. I'd rather be driving.

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
Got it done. Looks so good that the rest of the car now looks neglected.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
What a freak deal!?!

If your finish is urethane, then you can go right to laquer thinner. The urethane is inert to it, but all spray bombs are not. Of course, if your finish is old laquer or enamel, then don't use thinner!!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Your post timely... just yesterday I started pulling old cans of spray paint off the shelf in my shop in an effort to clean it up. So glad you got the pink off your car. I'm sure it was a lot of work but it had to be done.

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
I really can't believe it all came off and looks better since it just had a nice hand polish.

kjman55

Freshman Member
Thanks for your post PeterK. I never would have expected that . I just packed my spray cans into a sturdy plastic box with a lid. so glad your car was not permanently marred.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for your post PeterK. I never would have expected that . I just packed my spray cans into a sturdy plastic box with a lid. so glad your car was not permanently marred.

Even better, get and old metal file cabinet. I get them at the State of NH surplus materials auction where a lot of four goes for about $20. All my paints, solvents and other nasty stuff goes in.
Tom

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
P1000855.jpgP1000856.jpg

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
P1000852.jpg

Could have been a lot worse if I hadn't noticed right after it happened.