• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

dead at the finish line

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
well saterday was a great blue sky day drove 5 hours in hot weather. car ran cool.
the last little bit of road to my house is being dug up and I 've had issues with it rattling the grounds on Shaggy.
well the car died just getting up to the top of the hill and i rolled into the drive way and it hasn't started since.
the the wires to the distributer are checked green and dashed white. I popped in the new RVC tach that had been waiting all winter. but no luck with the old tach or the new one. Yes, it cranks but dose not fire. the car did lose Umph on the road at one point but I hit the choke and it recovers. it did turn off durrning the classic car convoy into the city and but i was rolling down the hill and i pop started it.

plugs look good. I can hear the fuel pump. I can't check for spark since i can't see and turned the key.
im struggling getting the video off the go pro, I was following my buddys 48 TC.

steve

77MidgetMkIV

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I would guess either fuel or spark- I had a similar issue a while back- it was the float valve in my carb getting stuck and starving the carb- I could hear the fuel pump cycle and I had spark- I would check spark first (easy) and then check the carb for fuel, or try to get it going with start fluid spray- both are easiest with another pair of hands!

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Check that your ignition switch is working properly and that all the connections are intact. Also, check the fuse block for good connections in both the wires and the fuses. Those contacts corrode and sometimes contacts on the fuses are very marginal. Your symptoms indicate loss of electricity at the source.

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
ahh good point the road dust is every where so it could be that.
i built the car up from a bare chassis 10 year ago i should have put in a new wire harness at that time.
yeah a second of eyes would really help, yes, i some times set up the phone to video thinks like brake lights.
I need to get one(or 3) of those starter cylanoids with the start button, so i can have my head under the hood.

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
ok turns out the spridget dose not have an optical dizzy yet, so i ordered a 123Ingnition. so I got a friend to look at the test light under the hood no juuice to the spark plugs. the white wire too the coil is getting current. the Signal wire to from the tach to the coil is good but no juice is coming out of the Tach. I've tried two tachs, there is power on the green wire going into the tach, we had the car running with out a tach for a few years. the tach currently in there is the RVC , i do have a spair RVI kicking around that i haven't tried yet.
I have the 123ignition in my B and in my MK2, and am happy with them and they help starting.

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
could I have rattled the points in the Dizzy?
dose the striped wire from the tach to the coil take signal from the coil up to the tach or down from the tach to the coil.
most likely the new dizzy will fix it.

steve

Hbf

Freshman Member
Does your dizzy have a condenser? These are usually the cause of ignition problems. Cheap to replace and capacitance easy to check.

in 50 years of driving I have always carrried a spare with me and have needed it on a few occasions.

OP
Sopwith_Camel

Sopwith_Camel

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Answer:highly_amused: it was the points. so I gaped the points and it started right up. yes the roads here are that rubbish.
we should compile a list of spairs, I always have a spare stud and lug nut.
yesterday like every one else on this forum was thinking will the E type start for Harry!!

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I understand that Harry's E Type was Electric

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
But probably Lucas Electric so the "will it start" question was still valid.