• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lost a good guy

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Anyone who has or ever has had a Corvette in the Albuquerque area will probably know "Scotty" of Scotty's Southwest Corvette. Scott Smith. I have taken my aging C5 to him many times and always felt like I was treated fairly. My older son has a C5 Z06 that needed some work on the air conditioning and so he called Scotty's and got the standard message "you have reached a number that is no longer in use or has been disconnected." After a little searching we learned that Scotty had succumbed to pneumonia several months ago. He was only 61. One of his former workers told us that he had been feeling poorly with coughing and a general run-down feeling, but resisted going to the doctor until his family finally put their foot down and made him go. Unfortunately it was too little too late and he did not recover.

What a shocker. Just to give you all an idea what kind of guy Scotty was, I'll relate the following true story. A couple of years back, my son called me from out in no-man's land in eastern New Mexico. He was on his way to reserve duty in Oklahoma when he had a blowout. Of course my son's ZO6 did not have a spare and he was only able to get hold of me on his cell phone.

I gave Scotty a call and explained my son's situation and Scotty gave me a loaner Z06 wheel with a tire. I drove out from Albuquerque to where my son was with the loaner wheel/tire and that was enough to get my son to the next town where he was able to buy a new tire. Scotty really saved my son's bacon that day! I wanted to pay him for the generosity, but he refused any payment.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's too bad about Scotty. He sounds like a great guy.

I did almost exactly the same thing myself last year (even the same age), but survived, barely. One of the weird things about pneumonia is that it isn't a single disease, but something like 25 different ones. In my case, they never did figure out which one it was, or why it suddenly got so much worse. I probably never will recover fully, but I'm grateful to be out of the hospital.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Pretty serious stuff. Luckily I survived pneumonia too...twice. Second time included 3 days in the ICU. Thought I was dying...reading the hospital report, turns out the docs thought similarly.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
There are a lot of great people out there.

This is a reminder for us old people to get the pneumonia shot. It may help.

David

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Pretty serious stuff. Luckily I survived pneumonia too...twice. Second time included 3 days in the ICU. Thought I was dying...reading the hospital report, turns out the docs thought similarly.

A very good friend and former co-worker, Rory, went into the hospital with what turned out to be pneumonia and never came out. He had been ill for several days and kept resisting going to the hospital until his mom finally insisted he go.

65_BRG_Sprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
What a weird day; get up and read about the posts on pneumonia and an hour later I'm at the doc's for routine visit and it was time for my pneumonia shot! Told me there are well over a hundred types of it, al different and dangerous. Wouldn't give me my shingles shot though, as insurance would not pay for it. Wrote me a script to take to pharmacy where they would give me the shot and insurance would pay. Huh?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Wouldn't give me my shingles shot though, as insurance would not pay for it. Wrote me a script to take to pharmacy where they would give me the shot and insurance would pay. Huh?
Costs them more to have it administered in a doctor's office rather than the drug store. I have to go to the drug store for pneumonia as well.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Had the opposite insurance deal at the pharmacy.

I had a flue shot at the pharmacy and I asked about the Pneumonia shot. I could pay for the pneumonia shot but the insurance would not cover it but they would at the DR office???

David

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
I didn’t know Scotty but he sounds like one of those good guys who really didn’t think of his job as a job but rather just being who he is. A loss indeed.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I didn’t know Scotty but he sounds like one of those good guys who really didn’t think of his job as a job but rather just being who he is. A loss indeed.

He really was a good guy! I always knew that he would treat me fairly and I would always recommend him to others with Vetts.