• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mini Fuel Injection

DSwanson

Freshman Member
Did all the last Rover Minis use fuel injection? Is it adaptable to older Minis and other A-series powered vehicles? Does the computer just control the fuel injection or also the ignition timing?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Some of the last Rover-Minis were fuel injected, but I don't know any details about the sytem that was used.

But, if you are interested in a home-brew fuel injection system, you may wish to look at the "Megasquirt" system. It's cheap to build and has lots of free software online, plus good tech support via a user's group.

https://www.megasquirt.info/

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
It's a full control system, complete with different distributor and crank timing sensor. Actually there are two types: A single point and a dual point injection system. The dual is the newer of the two. I think Fuel Injection showed up on Minis in 1993 or '94.

Keith Calver has experimented with FI for performance. In spite of the improvements in low end torque, he abandon the project, because little was known (or could be discovered) about the Rover controller.

I have seen impressive dyno curves showing 100% more HP in the low RPM range. The top end of the curve was "only" about 10% better than a carburated car.

Mini1000

Freshman Member
One thing that I have noticed is that people generally don't prefer the spi as much as the mpi engines...in fact I have seen many folks with spi engines go back to carburation...MiniMania sells an injection-to-carburation conversion kit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I have a 91, German made mini, first year of FI, I thought. Perhaps 92. Single point.

OP
D

DSwanson

Freshman Member
With all the newer Minis coming over here to the states, and knowing how most people like twin carbs better, I thought a used complete stock FI system would be cheap and if it were easy to retrofit I might try to put one on my '62 A.H. Sprite. While not a "performance" system, I would think it should be better (horse power and economy) then a stock twin carb setup. With multiple sensors & a different dist. I think it would be much more of an undertaking then I would want to perform.

Morris

Yoda
Hello all,

I am new to the forum, and this is a very exciting converstation for me...

I am working on a retrofit fuel injection kit for LBC's. My test bed (read my car) is a '79 Midget, but I intend to eventually roll out kits for all the popular makes and engines.

My goals are to create a kit that: a person with modest mechanicin' skills could install in a weekend; will improve fuel economy and emissions; will improve reliability; and will cost several hunderd US$ less than the kit Moss is offering for the MGB. While I expect that there will be a modest performance gain, I doubt it will be enough to satisfy real power junkies.

Anywho, I will be looking to the community for a lot of support for this project over the next few years so I look forward to chatting with you all a lot more about this topic.

Thanks,

Morris

Ps. Yes, Morris is my real first name.

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Cool, Morris! Welcome to the forum! I am sure many folks will be interested in reading about your progress in your project, and also willing and able to help out with advise and experience.
Best regards,

bmwracr

Freshman Member
New guy here. I've got a single point Mini, and no info on the fuel injection system. I've got Haynes, but it is, in a word, pitiful. Where can I find a description of the system, operation, adjustments, and in general just what should connect to what?

dklawson

Yoda
BMWracr, your car/engine is so "late" that there won't be many resources for it in the U.S. Your best bet will be to post a message like this on the Mini Mania / Mini Spares web site and get someone in the U.K. to identify a text that will help you. Mini Spares or Mini Sport may have books better suited to your needs than any U.S. source.

bmwracr

Freshman Member
Thanks for the response. I'll keep looking . . . or I DO have this twin choke 40mm Mikuni side draft sitting in the basement. . .

dklawson

Yoda
BMWracr, I posted your question at:
https://www.theminiforum.co.uk/ which is another forum I frequent.

The response there was that the SPI system is not tuneable so there isn't much information about it presented in any of the manuals. The Rover manual apparently goes into more detail about how the system works, but it appears to be an auto-tuning system so all you can do is buy a scanner to troubleshoot it and replace any parts that are defective.

Visit TheMiniForum sometime. Unlike the Mini Mania / Mini Spares forum, there are a lot more people who own late model Minis who should be able to help you with the SPI.