• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tire choices for Bugeyes

Handyman

Freshman Member
My 1960 Bugeye had 155/80R13 tires when I bought it (in 1979). I replaced them with the P155/80R13 size. The factory Workshop Manual says the car was "fitted with 5.20-13" bias ply tires. Some sources now recommend buying 145x13 bias ply tires. Some say 155R13 or 165R13 tires (or 185) are OK. The height recommendations seem to be 70, 75 or 80 without a strong consensus. Has anyone had any problems with running P155/80R13 tires? Does anyone have a strong preference for one of the tire sizes for on-the-street? Thanks.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
That's what I run on Ms Triss - works out fine - I actually shopped by price on these as well as size - I know that in Canada at least you can get this size supe cheap (like $30 a tire) at Walmart - not performance I know but neither is the car.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I ran 155/80R13 radials on my last Bugeye, will do the same on my current one. I don't worry that much about the performance rating on the tires, as any modern radial is likely better than the 1950s bias ply they came with originally. It's personal preference, but I'm also not a fan of going wider on these cars -- I'm not looking for more grip. Even with the extra power I'll have (with a 1275), these are not fast cars in the modern sense. For me it's more about the light flickability.

OP
H

Handyman

Freshman Member
Thanks to JPSmit and drooartz for sharing your experiences with Spridget tires. The drooartz reply raises the issue of "light flickability" which is new term for me. Does that term refer to stoplights at intersections, or some other driving issue?

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks to JPSmit and drooartz for sharing your experiences with Spridget tires. The drooartz reply raises the issue of "light flickability" which is new term for me. Does that term refer to stoplights at intersections, or some other driving issue?

Ya gotta forgive Drew, he's always using those highly technical terms like "light flickability". :friendly_wink: I think he means how quickly the car handles.

I also use 155/80R13 size tires on my sprites. It seems to be a good size.

Keith

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I am glad the 155/80R13 tires are a good size. Friday I ordered a set of Kumhos from Tire Rack. They will be delivered to my local installer tomorrow. Now I would like some proper Spring weather so I can begin breaking the tires in.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Pirelli P400 Touring - 175/70R13 for me.

I think the originals would be more like 145/80-13 (in radial equivalent that is).

Last edited:

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Just6 don't drive below 50 degrees with those tires but I would like to experience super stick performance tires on a BE just once .

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Ya gotta forgive Drew, he's always using those highly technical terms like "light flickability". :friendly_wink: I think he means how quickly the car handles.

Thanks for the translation, Keith. :grin:

A Bugeye is a little gokart and I feel that on the road the narrower tires suit it well. I'm not looking to raise the car's limits on the road, I like that I can drive it flat out and still not be going all that fast (safer for the driver's license). A little sliding at lower speeds is kinda fun.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dang! Here I thought 'light flickability' meant being able to flash your high beams to get all the dang M-Benz and Audis out of your way as your're hammering down the autobahn in your BE. Doug
PS: saw a great licence plate yesterday and a pretty new Audi: "DAS UFO"

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Dang! Here I thought 'light flickability' meant being able to flash your high beams to get all the dang M-Benz and Audis out of your way as your're hammering down the autobahn in your BE. Doug
PS: saw a great licence plate yesterday and a pretty new Audi: "DAS UFO"

And I thought it had to do with your response to being cut off by distracted drivers. :devilgrin:

Country flag
I think Jim was referring to the Toyo's that Rick purchased.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Yes the R888’s. IIRC those are rated as Summer only above 50 degrees.