• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Songs that Couldn't/ Wouldn't be written today.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Was thinking about this the other day - there are some that have lyrics that are no longer acceptable. But others, well....

(let's do one at a time - do we want to guess why? sure - let's try.)

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
No one writes letters any more!

And somehow "posted on Facebook so everyone else knew before I did" doesn't have the same ring :smile:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
No one writes letters any more!

And somehow "posted on Facebook so everyone else knew before I did" doesn't have the same ring :smile:

No kidding! I've got several friends who post all their "news" on their FB pages. Then sit back and wait for comments, which, if they happen at all, are things like "wow - really cool!" or "looks so funny!".

When they stopped replying to my emails, I found out why: "It takes too much time to write one person at a time - so I just use FB."

yeesh

Personal communication has turned into the trading of emoticons.

yeesh yeesh

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
:winner1:

BTW I make 4 reasons for this one.

Country flag
Yep, why call when you can text, who needs to actually speak. My oldest niece is like that, she can sit with friends and none say a word, just text back and forth. Who knows in another 100k years we might have evolved without vocal cords and ears will be tuned only for pings from phones..

And there's a whole class of songs I suspect no one has written decades, those dedicated to the temperance movement. Doubt that at this time anyone would write new ones.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Lest we forget:

"And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more

People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening

People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence

Fools, said I, you do not know
Silence like a cancer grows

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
How about "Kodachrome" by Paul Simon?
I remember that our local radio station bleeped the word c**p on it.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
If Melanie Safka wrote one of her signature songs today it would be "I've got a brand new pair of roller blades"

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Ok, I'll bite, why wouldn't they write Along Come Mary - Sweet as the punch?

BTW Back to Croce:

1. Operator
2. Phone Booth
3. Dime in Phone Booth
and 4 - bonus - matchbook.

:cheers:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm curious about why not Sounds of Silence? Seems to me we've got plenty of people talking without speaking (just listen to any political speech), and hearing without listening.

I'd say more, "But if I really say it, the radio won't play it. Unless I lay it between the lines."

There was a radio station in Indy that played the censored version of Kodachrome. Sure seemed stupid to me! Even worse, they wouldn't play "They're Coming to Take Me Away" at all. I forget the call letters, but they're gone now. They also used to pre-record their programs and leave the station unattended at night. One night the tape machine malfunctioned, and played something like 27 'Stone Balloon' (a record shop) commercials in the time it took me to drive home from school.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Box Tops' "Sweet Cream Ladies"
Captain Beefheart's "I'm Goona Booglarize Ya, Baby"

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

Twenty couple years ago I did the same thing, except I didn't stick around to watch what happened. I had ordered a pizza from my local Pizza Hut and while I was waiting I noticed that a friend was working that night and she hadn't seen me. I ran out to may car got all the quarters I had, came back inside put all of my quarters in the Jukebox and selected the Macarena seventeen times. The song came on, my friend tells me that my pizza is ready (she hadn't seen me at the Jukebox) and I take my pizza and leave.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Twenty couple years ago I did the same thing, except I didn't stick around to watch what happened. I had ordered a pizza from my local Pizza Hut and while I was waiting I noticed that a friend was working that night and she hadn't seen me. I ran out to may car got all the quarters I had, came back inside put all of my quarters in the Jukebox and selected the Macarena seventeen times. The song came on, my friend tells me that my pizza is ready (she hadn't seen me at the Jukebox) and I take my pizza and leave.

genius - and maybe ex-friend? :grin:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Walt, that was evil.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Still friends, I don't know if she ever knew it was me but I suspect she figured it out.

Not evil Bayless, more diabolical.