Thread: Running a little hot...

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Running a little hot...

Just got on the road for the season and Im running a little hot... what can I do staying as stock as possible to cool er down a bit? I wash running fast and hard today to push her a bit to prepare for an up and coming trip... if rather make the journey than have to pull over every 30 mins. Thanks
    *1959 TR3A
    *1951 Chevy Fleetline Deluxe
    *1986 GMC Sierra Classic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Re: Running a little hot...

Hot at idle or only when running at speed?
    John

1955 TR2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    129 Posts

Do you have the cardboard air deflector in front of the radiator?
    Slots in the grille opened up?
    Both centrifugal and vacuum advance working?
    How much glycol in the radiator?
    Randall
    56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
    71 Stag LE1473L waiting engine rebuild
    71-72-73 Stag LE2013LBW waiting OD gearbox rebuild

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Flushed the cooling system in recent years?
    Using a sleeved thermostat or else added a partial blockage to the bypass hose?
    Verified that fuel mixture is not too lean? (how do the plugs look?)

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

the fan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also have a high altitude TR3. I live at 6000', work at 4500' and on the drive home I used to overheat no matter the time of the year. It seems that the car was designed for driving in jolly old England, where the highest point is Ben Nevis at 4400, and there isn't a road to the top of that. The cooling system just wasn't designed for Aspen or the Sierra Nevada. I tried adding an electric fan while keeping the original "fan", I replaced the water pump, cored the radiator, replaced the ugly card board thing in front, added an oil cooler and it just didn't help.

So I punted and replaced the radiator with this:

https://wizardcooling.com/1953-1965-...FY22wAod9AoHTg

Since then, no problem at all. The fan has only come on twice. I am one who is more interested in performance rather than stock so you may not want to go this way, but it sure worked.
    My hovercraft is full of eels.
    1959 TR3 SN42940

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I am originally from Colorado and had a TR3A for a number of years while there. Then moved to Southern Calif. and drove the car to work daily both places. I never had a cooling problem with that car. Then I sold that car. Years later I bought a TR3B in northern Calif.. The only over heating problem I had with that stock cooling system was caused by a really messed up carb adjustment. Once the carbs were properly adjusted the problem was gone.
    Back to the Colorado experience, during the last VTR convention I drove my TR4 to Colorado along with a friend in his TR3B. We toured Colorado and went over I believe 8 10,000 foot passes . Neither one of us had any cooling problems. But I am running a Wizard aluminum radiator in the TR4 . The TR3 was has the stock cooling system.
    I think these cars can do well if properly set up.
    Charley
    1962 TR4
    1963 TR4
    1959 TR3A A work in progress.

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Run 35% glycol ....15% "water wetter"....50% distilled water. The rad has to be in top condition. I run an electric fan in front of the rad linked to a toggle switch that I flip on when I'm stuck in traffic on a hot day. I replaced the stock fan with a yellow TR6 fan. The stock fan dosn't move enough air. It might be OK for England's weather!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HighAltitudeTR3 View Post
    Just got on the road for the season and I’m running a little hot...
    Did it run hot before this season?

Tom M.
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Check your distributor and vacuum advance unit. Running with late timming will cause it to run hot. If the vacuum advance is not pulling vacuum and advancing the timming at road speed it can run hot. I replaced my vacuum advance unit on my MGA and it runs much cooler now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sometimes the veins in the radiator get plugged. Flushing and back flushing may help a little but is better to get them cleaned out by a professional. I had to go around to a dozen radiator shops before I could find a shop to remove the tanks and clean the veins out. Everyone wanted to re-core it and I would loose the hole for the crank. Like you I wanted to keep the original look so with doing the clean out and swapping out the original fan with a GT6+ metal fan it has never over heated. The GT fan looks original and after I painted the blades silver no one has ever noticed it even in a LBC show.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    129 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Got_All_4 View Post
    Sometimes the veins in the radiator get plugged. Flushing and back flushing may help a little but is better to get them cleaned out by a professional. I had to go around to a dozen radiator shops before I could find a shop to remove the tanks and clean the veins out. Everyone wanted to re-core it and I would loose the hole for the crank. Like you I wanted to keep the original look so with doing the clean out and swapping out the original fan with a GT6+ metal fan it has never over heated. The GT fan looks original and after I painted the blades silver no one has ever noticed it even in a LBC show.
    They don't even have to be plugged all the way. Last time I went around this tree, I was using a radiator that had worked fine in the past but sat unused for a couple of years. The radiator shop said it flowed fine, there was no need to rod it out. After trying everything else, I finally insisted that they do rod it out. Surprise, surprise! Although none of the tubes were actually blocked, they had a terrible time forcing the rods through, and wound up with 5 or 6 leaks once they did. The inside of the tubes were coated with "mud" (highly technical term there, doctor) that was apparently mostly old stop-leak; and was blocking the transfer of heat from the coolant to the fins.

Rather than mess with the leaky core, I had a new core installed. My shop gave me the option of putting a hole in the new core, but said it would reduce cooling capacity by about 10%, so I elected no hole. All of my cooling problems vanished like magic!
    Randall
    56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
    71 Stag LE1473L waiting engine rebuild
    71-72-73 Stag LE2013LBW waiting OD gearbox rebuild

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Yes get the GT6 fanand re-core, if lucky- if not, get the re-core with the GT6 fan that is thebest way. If you cannot get the GT6 fan then get the Macy copycat fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Got_All_4 View Post
    ... Like you I wanted to keep the original look so with doing the clean out and swapping out the original fan with a GT6+ metal fan it has never over heated. The GT fan looks original and after I painted the blades silver no one has ever noticed it even in a LBC show.
    FYI - what it looks like:

I was able to have a local shop re-core my radiator with a core that had a crank-hole. He just ordered it out of a big book, possibly most shops use the same source.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

yep that's mine looks like too.