• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Sandy's TR 3

Hill Billy

Country flag
Four years ago I bought TS42031L. The car was produced on January 7, 1959; according to Frank Conklin. Thanks for that info Frank. I drug home two trailer loads of parts that are supposed to be a TR 3. I paid $1200 and along with the car I got about $800 worth of new parts that the previous owner had purchased. He bought the car in this disassembled state hoping to restore it. Twenty five years later he gave up. He kept it in his wood shop so it was always dry and always covered in sawdust. However, the other owners must have left it out in the rain, always. The other important numbers are: Engine TS 42667E, EB 41976, Mulliner 1017062

About the only thing the PO did was sand blast the frame, paint it and attempt some repairs on some of the fenders. See pictures.

Before actually buying the car I showed my wife a picture of a Sebring White TR 3 with tan interior. She said if you can make it look like that I might want to keep it rather than sell it someday. So my plan is to get it to the point where she will want to keep it. Over the years I have been picking away at it, very slowly, and have made some progress. Other duties and other cars have gotten in the way.

Now for the thanks’. Barry Shefner, Randal Y, John Durant and Pied Lord and the many others that have kept me thinking about this car and given me, and countless others, a great deal good information and tips. I have primarily been on the other forum and lurked on this one. But I am finding that this forum is much more active for Triumphs. And a special thanks to John and Pied for the documentaries the two of you have created. In the beginning I was worried that cost of replacement panels might make this an over the top expensive project. I no longer have that fear. I can cut, bend and weld sheet metal and because this car is no worse off than your projects I am confident I can do it without buying much, if any at all, sheet metal panels. This car is far better off than the 1978 Mini I am also doing.
To date my picking away at this has amounted to repairing both rear fenders. They are ready for final fitting and paint, which is probably years away. I have cleaned, repainted and reassembled the front pulley and fan assembly. Both the generator and starter are rebuilt. I am now tackling right front fender and that is what lead me to write this and start the journal.

There will be more to come, but slowly for sure.

P.S. There is one thing I need to learn. How can I insert pictures into the text the way John Durant did so I can comment on them? I missed something somewhere along the line.

Thanks again to all.

Bill

Attachments

• Frame.JPG
    Frame.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 262
  • Body 1.JPG
    Body 1.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC_0214.jpg
    DSC_0214.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC_0215.jpg
    DSC_0215.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 220
  • DSC_0216.jpg
    DSC_0216.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC_0218.jpg
    DSC_0218.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC_0219.jpg
    DSC_0219.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC_0220.jpg
    DSC_0220.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 218

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
"I have primarily been on the other forum and lurked on this one. But I am finding that this forum is much more active for Triumphs."

Many of us feel the same!

When you make a post (or a reply), you'll see a square "picture" icon in the row of tools just above the text window.

Put your pointer/cursor in the spot you'd like to put a picture.

Then click that picture icon.

Choose From Computer, then find your photo and click Upload and follow instructions.

Or, if the photo is on the web, choose URL instead of From Computer. Insert the full URL into the box, follow instructions, and you're done.

Hope this helps!

Here's a nice ol' TR3 (which once lived at my place).

TeeYah.jpg

If you choose From Computer, the photo will first appear small. Double click on the photo before you finish your post, and you can choose size and placement.

Hope this helps!
Tom M.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the mention. I'm glad things are moving along well in your project. She will be beautiful when you are done!

Cheers
Tush

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Bill

I also brought home a TR3 kit that had been the POs basement for over 20 years, my wife's comment was "It's in a million bits do you know how it goes back together?". I have been working in fits and starts on it for coming up to 3 years. I can concur that Tush's videos and Johns detailed threads have been a great help. Many others here have been invaluable with info or suggestion/help.
It is a long road but well worth it in the end.

Keep posting progress reports.

David

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Cool Bill, keep the progress pics coming. I’m still in withdrawal without a car project going and look forward to all you guys posting. I spent 6 hours jack hammering the house sewer pipes today. Boy I miss car work!

David, I like that “TR3 kit”!

Talking about the “other” forum. I actually found it first back in 2010 when I was doing my TR3A. I used to post there and it would be weeks before I got a response. After months of nothing, a member finally referred me over here. The other side has picked up exponentially since then...but this is still my favorite hang out.

OP
H

Hill Billy

Country flag
Thanks guys and thanks Basil for that video. I'll use it for future updates, one coming tomorrow.

I started on the other forum because I have always been an MG guy. I bought my A in1967 and still have it. Both of my sons have MG's and a few B's came and went through my hands as well. Back in 68 a friend of mine had a TR 3 and I always thought, someday I'll get one.

John, I know all about those house projects. Three kids with houses to work on and my own house are major distractions.

Bill

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Paying work has interrupted my work flow again. I had got into a nice rhythm in January and February. The next couple of months look like slim TR work. Sioux City this week, Tulsa next week then back to Sioux City.
Will help pay for TR parts and paint.

David

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hey David, I know what that's all about! I think I'm going to loose about 6 weeks on my projects with all the business travel I have coming up....it's a viscous circle...I can't retire as I need to afford to buy stuff for my hobby :cool:

Cheers
Tush

OP
H

Hill Billy

Country flag
Here's a brief update. I have the lower patch tacked in place and I think it fits very well.
Rt.Fnt.Patch 2.jpg

Rt. Fnt Patch 1.jpg

Before removing the rear mounting flange I drilled two small holes through the lip of the fender (the green tape shows the location of the hoes) deep enough to dimple the flange. That way I can be assured the flange goes back to its correct location. Just align the dots and all is good. I ground off the welds and knocked out the flange. The flange is now temporarily in place. It will come back out before I primer the backside of the fender. The next step is to recreate the part that actually attaches the fender to the car on the lower edge. I'll be using Johns photos and descriptions and also this rusted piece of crud on the left fender as guides.
Rusty Rt Frnt..jpg

I assume the nice round hole towards the rear of the flange is for the mice to get in there.

As for retirement guys...............I retired six years ago. I still have no more spare time to work on "my" cars. Kids with houses and cars, and the honey do list is never ending. This weekend my son is driving his 67 B/GT here from Philly (3 hours) so we can do some needed work on the front hubs and a few other items. However, I still wish I had retired about 45 years ago. This is fun!

How'd I do with those pictures? Too large?

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Yeah, pictures and patch look great!

Cheers
Tush

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Very nice! I added an extra "gage" in thickness to the lower patches, thinking it would improve the life expectancy. It turned out to be too hard in hindsight, working the 2 dissimilar thicknesses. Yours is looking much better than mine in that regard.

Tush...I am still waiting anxiously to see you on one of the half dozen cooking contests my Wife is always watching...

OP
H

Hill Billy

Country flag
Here’s an update on the fender repairs. I made a pair of the lower flanges and I think they fit pretty well.
Flanges.jpg

At least the one for the left fender does. The right fender is still a rusted mess but I figured while I was making one flange I might just as well make the other.

Flange test fit 2.jpg

The dark blue spot in my lower patch is where I tried some heat shrinking. I had a high spot and that pulled it in very nicely.
Flange and patch.jpg

Still have a little welding and grinding to do on the patch and I need to flatten out those hammer marks and then I'll weld in the flange.

Now I have a question about the wire in the rolled edge. What have any of you guys done to stop rust in that area?

Attachments

• Flange test fit.jpg
    Flange test fit.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 127

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Very nice. It's looking like a new wing.

I'm afraid I didn't do much for the wire. I simply doused it in primer afterward...but then my car will likely never see rain again.

OP
H

Hill Billy

Country flag
Thanks John.

It is likely that this TR will also never see rain. But living here in the northeast we get intensive humidity on certain days when the weather warms up and the garage floor and cars are ice cold. This makes the floors and the cars sweat. There's nothing I can do about that. I do not have a heated garage. Only the shop is heated and the finished cars can't stay there. So rust preventative measures are critical.

Maybe someone else will chime in on that issue.

Bill

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Open the seam up a tech, wire wheel brush as good as possible then pour in epoxy primer.

OP
H

Hill Billy

Country flag
Dave, you know what that seam is like. You're the guy that made a wire edge patch for the front section and now you want me to open it up? Come on over when you get some free time.:smile:

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Now don't pervert the issue. the one I made doesn't need opening up because it is new metal and has no rust. Probably see you tomorrow.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
What do you plan to do to the inside of the wing before painting? Sandblasting? You could do a coat of POR15 before primer.

Living in Georgia I understand your problem with condensation and cold garage warm weather. I was surprised at how much moisture I found on the engine block when we had a sudden warming spell.

David