• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fun with Fones

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
#1 - Yesterday around noon the phone rings. Caller ID shows my own phone number. OK, it's another computer call where Caller ID is faked. Fuggetaboudit. I didn't pick up.

#2 - Two minutes later, phone rings, ID now shows my number *plus* a similar number. Same area code and exchange as mine, but the last four digits are different. Ignored.

Snow storm hits later on; power, phone, internet out until around 10 this morning.

10:15. Phone rings, Same as #2. Different last four digits again. Two minutes later, same thing. Again, a new set of four digits. It's like the phone-robot has latched on to one area code and exchange. I imagine this is going on for maybe millions of phones (land and cell) 24/7. Answer the call - the robot knows your number is valid and adds you to the "sucker" list. Don't answer the call, robot just tries different numbers.

Has anyone gone through this? Do we just give up on land and cell calls, and go back to smoke signals?

yeesh
Tom M.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just keep chanting : We need less government regulation. Destroying ______ (fill in the blank) is a small price to pay for the rich getting richer (and the hobo, he can drown).

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Just keep chanting : We need less government regulation. Destroying ______ (fill in the blank) is a small price to pay for the rich getting richer (and the hobo, he can drown).

There are already plenty of regulations. [FONT=&quot] "In 1991 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Congress enacted[/FONT][FONT=&quot] the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). The TCPA restricts the making of telemarketing calls and the use of automatic telephone dialing systems and artificial or prerecorded voice messages. I[/FONT][FONT=Open Sans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]n 2012, the FCC revised its TCPA rules to require telemarketers (1) to obtain prior express written consent from consumers before robocalling them, (2) to no longer allow telemarketers to use an “established business relationship” to avoid getting consent from consumers when their home phones, and (3) to require telemarketers to provide an automated, interactive “opt-out” mechanism during each robocall so consumers can immediately tell the telemarketer to stop calling."[/FONT]

[FONT=Open Sans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Government regulations are not helping when the perps reside off shore and don't give a rip about your regulations. [/FONT]

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
105.2 fm?

88.5fm :jester:

That's a good point about the "off shore" callers. Now that you can fake a Caller ID, who knows what/who is calling.

And digital just makes it worse -

smoke_puffs.jpg

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
88.5fm :jester:

That's a good point about the "off shore" callers. Now that you can fake a Caller ID, who knows what/who is calling.

And digital just makes it worse -

If We don't recognize the caller - we always let the answering machine answer. If we hear it is someone we want to talk to we answer, otherwise they must leave a message. If it’s a telemarketer, the number always gets added to our call blocker.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Basil. I've thought about call block, but with Caller ID being faked by just about every telemarketer's system, what good does blocking the number do?

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Thanks Basil. I've thought about call block, but with Caller ID being faked by just about every telemarketer's system, what good does blocking the number do?

It has definitely reduced (not eliminated) our spam calls. Also, in addition to being able to block numbers, the service we have (NetTalk VOIP) has some sort of a spam filter algorithm and if a call is suspected of being a telemarketer, you get a notice in the caller ID that gives a percentage likelihood the call is spam 50%, 64%, 100% etc. See picture of my phone attached.

spam id.jpg

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks again. Imagine how much better phone systems would be, if we could enter a list of "ok" numbers into our phone system, and it would only allow those numbers through.

So much simpler than this crazy "block the number" one at a time, hoping it's really the number you want to block.

Similar to firewalls, which allow incoming connections from specific sources, and block all the others.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You can answer this one Tom.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
LOL - Elliot, what memories those bring back. Wow.

Here's probably the earliest version of that, played in Kubrick's Barry Lyndon, 1975.

That film, by the way, was the second one which got me hooked on Marisa Berenson. First was Cabaret.

sigh

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[FONT=Open Sans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Government regulations are not helping when the perps reside off shore and don't give a rip about your regulations. [/FONT]
I agree, existing regulations don't cover that case. But they could if, at every point where the US networks connects to an international trunk; there was equipment to verify that the ANI matches where the call actually came from. As you noted, some carriers are already doing that (though mine just says "Spam likely").

There is also no reason that POTS phones can't offer the same features as smart phones; which usually includes the ability to block any caller not in your contacts list.

BTW, it seems to me that even our current regulations are not being enforced in an effective manner. I have reported spam that did at least appear to originate within the US (the ANI connected to the company represented, with headquarters in the US) and nothing happened. When was the last time you heard of the FCC fining anyone for phone abuse?

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
It's a nightmare alright... but a small price to pay to be able to converse with almost anyone, nearly anywhere, at anytime. :savewave:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I still get calls with a Eureka,CA private number,then they turn out tobe
sales calls.If I hear a pause,I immediately hang up.We still have our CA number.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
I don’t respond to any call on the landline number. Landline is gone but we retained the number. Answering responds. If it is legit, a message will be left. Sometimes a robo call will leave a message but I simply enjoy using the erase function. Don’t call block or do not call register as it doesn’t work.

Country flag
I do the same thing, have a landline only because it made the overall package a bit cheaper. Seems sometimes like they cycle through calls they robo dial, I'll have a couple weeks with nothing, then a week where when I get home each night I have a dozen or more. Most are just no message hangups, but every now and then I'll get one where they threaten to arrest me or cutoff some service if I don't answer. I just ignore the whole lot.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Kind of amusing : I've got an old rotary phone mounted on the wall in the garage (came with the house). We canceled the landline service many years ago; the phone doesn't even have a dial tone and the old number has long since been reassigned to someone else. But apparently, the wires still run to the local "central office", as it does sometimes ring! No answering machine or anything like that, but the few times I've managed to answer, it has always been some sort of political advertisement for an upcoming election.