• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Need some advice on a drum brake issue

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I am working on a 1936 Morris 8 and I have two of the brake drums that won't set flat against the axle. When the wheel turns, you can see it is not spinning straight. I have tried exchanging the drums with no advantage. I can't see anything that should be stopping them from sitting flat. Has anyone come across this issue and what did you discover?

Jerry

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've never worked on a Morris 8, so these are just some general thoughts.

When you say "exchanging the drums", do you mean swapping one that runs true with one that doesn't?

Is it possible the hub isn't running true? I've had several of them that are either distorted, or have damage in a bearing seat (a burr got turned up when removing the old bearing and not removed before installing new).

c7Im1ns.jpg

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I have one of those dials, I will check for that. I have only driven this car about 200 yards. It did not have any brakes so I started taking it apart to fix things. By the time I looked up the car was in pieces. Now about 75% back together. I just don't remember any wheels wobbling. but, I will try your dials and see what happens.

Jerry

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It sounds like you might have a bad hub bearing, I'd pull the drums again and check your bearings.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Or bent axles. Put the dial indicator on the axle hubs, if they prove true go to the drums. When checking the hubs, a bearing issue will likely show up at different points on the hub diameter thru continuing rotations, whereas a bent axle will always be in the same point on the hub.

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I do not know who worked on the car prior to my ownership but I have not been impressed with their work. As an example, they replace 3 of the 4 brake wheel cylinders. Now why would you not replace all 4?
I will get out the dial gauge this afternoon after I finish some welding. I am making a rear valance for the car. It is about 35 inches long, 9 inches wide and 6 inches deep but I have to make it in 6 parts and then weld it back together. So far it looks ok, but we shall see once I get the last pieces on and see how straight it is.
thanks for the suggestions.
Jerry