• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A Windshield Frame Curved or Flat?

PaulLongBl

I pulled the old windscreen which turned out someone had at sometime used plexiglass instead of glass. I assume due to the availability of a replacement back before the www and reproductions became so readily available. So here is my situation, the top edge of the replacement windshield is curved while the top of the frame is flat. I'm assuming that somewhere along the line it was flattened out to accommodate the flatness of the replacement plexiglass windshield. Is the upper part of the windshield frame supposed to be flat or curved along the same contour as the glass? Seems that if I try to make the straight frame fit the curved glass it would put stress on the glass. If curved is the answer and expert tips on how to put the curve back in on the frame?

26904691_10215621514830565_5549273359657025483_n.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'd be looking for another frame. Check with your local club, or maybe Marv has one for sale.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Paul

Welcome to the forum.

This is a shot of my TR3A screen. Last on the road in 1988.

You can see there is some curve to the top edge of the screen. There is also a slight curve from side to side.

David

Windshield with straight edge.jpg

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Paul,
I am going to assume that you are asking if the windshield glass curves slightly from side to side. We know that the windshield glass and frame are curved at top and bottom. I say yes there is a slight curve in the glass. I believe that you can recurve that frame to match the gentle curve of the glass . I have just restored a frame and found that the bottom part of the frame was flat. I got the frame with no glass in it. But I do have some old pieces of windshield and used them to check for curvature. The bottom frame piece is rather malleable and I was able to get the curvature back into it. I believe that the curvature is so slight that you should be able to put that curvature back into the top piece as well. You need to get an old windshield to use as a guide and take it slow.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
5RbKnYH.jpg

It should be curved to match the glass. Use caution trying to straighten the frame, as it is chromed brass. The brass is not that strong and easily bent, but the chrome will crack if it does bend too much.

titanic

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Even though I haven't had a Tr3 for many years, this topic caused a dim bulb to light in my head. I have a book, "Triumph Guide" by Allen&Strome, that mentions that during the development of the TR2, that at speeds of 100 mph, it was found that the wind pressure would cause the flat windshield to bow. If the frame was given 3/4" camber, the wind pressure would tend to straighten the glass and press it into the frame.
Berry

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Even though I haven't had a Tr3 for many years, this topic caused a dim bulb to light in my head. I have a book, "Triumph Guide" by Allen&Strome, that mentions that during the development of the TR2, that at speeds of 100 mph, it was found that the wind pressure would cause the flat windshield to bow. If the frame was given 3/4" camber, the wind pressure would tend to straighten the glass and press it into the frame.
Berry

You got it. Bad idea to use a flat screen.