• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Modern paint code for 1959 Triumph #19 Pearl White

71TR6

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hello All,
While I'm still quite a way off from getting to the point of painting my 59 TR3A, I'm close enough to start to consider paint and thought I'd pose a question to the forum.

I've uncovered a number of older paint codes but haven't been able to identify any modern paint codes for the Triumph 1959 vintage Pearl White #19.
Here are the paint codes I've identified:

• R-M U917
  • ICI Hilux M-048-2857
  • Dockers BF5460
  • ACME 387TR
  • Ditzler/PPG 8204

The car's been painted multiple times and the only area of original paint I was able to find is where the dash mounted. Unfortunately, it's a little too big to put under a paint scanner:smile:

Does anyone have a paint code from any of the modern paint suppliers that is a match to the old pearl white?

Secondly, while I have the attention of the forum, what are thoughts about base coat/clearcoat versus single coat paint systems?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!

Ron

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Ron,

I was armed with the same info when I went to my paint shop a couple of years ago when I was painting my 60 TR3A. Even had spa white info but my paint shop couldn't match the old codes/formulas.
When I painted my 73 TR6 I found untouched paint under the crash pad so I had that digitally scanned. I ended up driving my TR6 to the paint shop to see if they could match the paint on my TR6 as a back up plan (I'd lost the paint codes for he white as well...I still have the sikkens can but can't read the label :wall: )
Anyway, tried to match the TR6 and my paint shop came up with a Subaru. Glacial White...although I like the colour, when my TR6 and TR3A are next to each other they aren't even close...

I like the base/clear as it gives me more oppertunity to "fix" things that occur when painting in my garage...a whole lot of sanding can cure some evils in the end.

Good luck with your search.

Cheers
Tush

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hi, Ron -

When I had my '57, I had it painted pearl white and used the Ditzler code. I found a cross-reference to Dupont # 45374 and PPG 90093 that the supplier was able to use. On the computer the paint chip seemed a bit dark, but it came out perfect (at least to me...). You might want to have a small batch mixed and see what you think.

Here's a link to a post I made several years ago. Picture isn't great, but will give you an idea:

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?29580-TR3-What-color-white

Let me know if I can help any more.

:cheers:
Mickey

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Found one more picture I'd posted way back when. Again, not great, but may give you an idea.

Oh, and the codes I listed above actually are for a late 70s Toyota color. Still, pretty close to the original.

29957.jpg

OP
71TR6

71TR6

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks for the guidance Tush and Mickey. I like the car color, Mickey and thanks for the code numbers. I don’t want anything too white not a full cream color either and what you’ve found is a nice balance. Is that a one part paint or base/Clear? I’ve contacted BASF and DuPont and neither have been too helpful getting me matched to a modern code although BASF offered to lab scan a part if I could get them a 4x4 inch sample.

I’m leaning towards a base clear as Tush recommends. By the way Tush- tanks for taking the time to do the videos, they’ve been an immense help!

Best regards,
Ron

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for the guidance Tush and Mickey. I like the car color, Mickey and thanks for the code numbers. I don’t want anything too white not a full cream color either and what you’ve found is a nice balance. Is that a one part paint or base/Clear? I’ve contacted BASF and DuPont and neither have been too helpful getting me matched to a modern code although BASF offered to lab scan a part if I could get them a 4x4 inch sample.

I’m leaning towards a base clear as Tush recommends. By the way Tush- tanks for taking the time to do the videos, they’ve been an immense help!

Best regards,
Ron

Ron -

It's base/clear, and like you, I wanted a cream color; I was not disappointed, and it truly popped with the red interior.

PPG/Ditzler should be able to help you (the 90093 number); I'm pretty sure that's the number my paint guy used back then (about 20 years ago). You can call their tech folks at (216) 572-6111; color library (216) 572-6100.

Mickey

OP
71TR6

71TR6

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I thought I'd resurrect this post with my latest findings on Pearl White. I was unsuccessful matching any of the color codes I had with my local PPG paint shop. They still had the original 1960 Triumph paint chart but indicated they couldn't match or mix these colors with the modern formulations.

Somewhere, I found the number for the PPG tech line and spoke with a very informative person. She indicated a match to the Triumph pearl white is listed as a 1955-57 Chrysler Marguerite White which has a PPG paint code of 90017. I inquired about the often mentioned 90093 and she mentioned this is a 1977 Toyota White. I went to my local Napa store and they mixed up sample batches of both in a single stage Nason arcylic enamel. I sprayed both of them and compared them to the paint under the badge on my TR3 apron. Not an exact match. The Napa store scanned the area under the badge and indicated it was a match to a 1995 Ford Colonial White so I got a sample of that and shot a test panel. That wasn't a match either so I came the conclusion this is whack-a-mole situation.

While it's tough to see the difference in the digital world, they are all quite different. Here's the comparison with a sheet of white copy paper for comparison.
IMG_1645.jpg

The 90093 is quite cream colored, the Ford color doesn't have enough cream color in it. So, while not an exact match, I'm going to go with the 90017 that is close and I like the balance- not too creamy but not a stark white either. I'm sticking a fork in this color effort!

Ron

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
To find the OEM match may not be the color you like then what?? When I painted my 1973 TR 6 the OEM was Mallard and light Tan int. It was 1993 so my wife went to all the car dealers and looked at all the colors on car in the lot day time night time sun light shade you name it. We came up with a Ford green. Like the Mallard it can look blue or green in what ever light it is in. It has a code that can still in made. also I did not clear coat as it can be repaired and buffed and time. As noted there are so many whites as the song says don't worry be happy. Madflyer

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I used De Beer two pack solid New White code 19 this is the creamy white I think was used on after 1964 on the TR4

Graham
P1010166.jpg
P1010075.jpg

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
E3B894EB-C403-44A8-9E2C-83B24E93ACFD.jpeg

New White as digitally scanned from under the original dash pad.

Cheers,
Tush

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Tush, do you agree that is the creamy white?

Graham

Yes definitely. Not beige though....it’s a nice white. When I park my TR3A and the TR6 together, you can really tell how much brighter white my TR3A is...it’s painted Subaru Glacier White...

Cheers,
Tush

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I think I would do (pay for) single stage over base coat - clear coat if I were to do it over... ease of repair reasons...

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Here is a photo of my TR3 and another TR3 at a show. The other has a more blue look to the white. My one the closer is Ford Dover white. The code on the can is 40U White. The paint lady had to do a bit of adjusting to get it right.

David
TR3s at Columbus.jpg

OP
71TR6

71TR6

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
It's quite surprising to see the difference between the two. I like the Dover white and like Tush's New White as well. I don't want a stark white rather a light cream since it'll be a nice match with the red interior I'm planning.

Thanks for everyone's comments and pictures! They're very helpful.

Ron

Here is a photo of my TR3 and another TR3 at a show. The other has a more blue look to the white. My one the closer is Ford Dover white. The code on the can is 40U White. The paint lady had to do a bit of adjusting to get it right.

David
View attachment 66194