• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

XK-120 tires

BritishInvasion

Freshman Member
I just purchased a 1954 XK-120 with Avon bias ply 600x16 tires that are very old. I'm looking to replace them with radials (185/0/16 and I've seen three choices. Vredestein sprint classics, Pirelli CA67 and Avon all make a radial in this size. The Jag is an SE/M type with wire wheels. It's a driver and while I'm going to enjoy it, it's not going to be on the track or be flogged. Anyone have any experience with these different brands? Vredestein is the least expensive. Thanks

Jack T

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
While I have no direct experience with them, plenty of folks on the E-Type forum run Vredesteins and love them. For best pricing and selection check out Longstone Tyres.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I run the Vreds in 185/15 on my E-Type -- a very good tire in my opinion. I drive a lot, mostly highway speed touring, and put a lot of miles on them per year.

Last time I bought a set I got them from Jegs who will match anyone else's price and have free shipping.

Summit Racing also carries them and sometimes has the best price, especially if they are offering a sale/% discount.

OWD724

The correct size of Radial tire for a 120 is 185/16, not 15.

The actual diameters of the tires all vary in size. To get the right gearing you should buy the Pirelli.

look at the British website called Longstone Tyres, they have videos about all the diffences and correct sizes.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
The correct size of Radial tire for a 120 is 185/16, not 15.

The actual diameters of the tires all vary in size. To get the right gearing you should buy the Pirelli...

Right, the OP was talking about 185/16, I was merely relaying my excellent experience with the Vreds which, being on an E-Type, are 185/15.

I would be very surprised if there is enough of a diameter difference in Pirellis of the same size that you would need that particular brand to 'get the right gearing' - especially since we do not even know what diff ratio the car in question has.

OWD724

Hello Geo Hahn,

yes you are correct, but i had the Avon 185/16 on my 120 and they are the smallest diameter and you could see it. I now
have the Blockley radials which are similar to the Pirelli. The Longstone website video does show the differences, although in fact they do not show the Blockleys as they are sold by a rival company. It is exactly the same situation on my Healey 100 as some of the 165/15 look smaller in the wheel arch. The vreds are used on a lot of XKs and in fact there is a race series over here in the UK sponsored by them, so they must be good.

LeeWilsonn

Freshman Member
Lucas Tires are actually a good option. It's a reliable company you can see the related article if needed. And though I personally have no experience with its services, but my boss always orders their tires

Last edited: