• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lotus Elise...2005-6

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'm in the market for a Lotus as described in the title....I've always had older Brit cars (the last one when on this site a '56 TR3 smallmouth) but am in that 'I really want to drive it worry free' mode and am intrigued by the chassis on this car married to a Toyota drive train....

Any suggestions of what to look for or owners comments would be appreciated....thanks

BTW, I'd posted in the TVR section as I had an option on a beautiful total rebuild 2500 M...but just couldn't pull the trigger on a car with 154 HP and that mech period (154 because the 6 had been done by Savanah Racing)...it was a fantastic build but I just want something a bit more carefree at this point...like a lot of you I do my own wrenching.

OP
prb51

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well, I've been looking and found the oil coolant line issues....cam lobe problem....oil U tube rubbing wear...leaking radiators and blower motor issues.....anyone have anything to add?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Wish I could help but I've no experience with 'em. Only thing I'd be wary of would be one that has had body damage. Lotus themselves say that makes it "unrepairable". :eek:

OP
prb51

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Yes, if serious, as it has a carbon fiber/aluminum monocoque frame so any damage to that makes it a goner....front / rear clamshell damage is usually cosmetic if a fender bender (with no fenders)....otoh that is basically the same deal with my older 911 tub...if seriously damaged Hagerty writes it off....and pays the full agreed price.

I've found an excellent Lotus forum source so pretty much have everything I need...appreciate the info tho...and would still like t hear from any owners.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Well, I have had my 2005 for 12 years now, am very unlikely to sell it, and it has been the most reliable car I have owned. It has never failed to start, nor failed to proceed.
In those year it has had replacement rotors and pads, tyres a-plenty, rears particularly don't last much more than 10,000 miles. A new steering rack and pinion, the oil lines replaced under recall, and that's about it.
The body is vulnerable, I wrecked a rear clam by reversing into a flower bed in a parking lot one dark and rainy evening. It was replaced under insurance. The front gets chipped and battered by stones, so every so often I sand it, fill it and paint it. It doesn't stand really close inspection, but it's OK from 6 feet. It's a driver, not a show car.
I replaced the seats with those from a 2006, they're more comfortable and just as supportive. There are many people ready to buy the old ones to put in Miatas! My wheels are from an Exige 240, still Lotus but wider rims. Cuts down the understeer and improves transition. I run Bridgestone RE71 tyres.
You may deduce I'm a fan, and you'd be right. An Elise is as much fun as you can have in a car by yourself. I can always back it up with a trip in the Elan or Europa if I get bored, which isn't likely.
Oh, and I'm 76, 6'00", and 230lb. Still limber enough to get in and out.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Wish I could help but I've no experience with 'em. Only thing I'd be wary of would be one that has had body damage. Lotus themselves say that makes it "unrepairable". :eek:

Not body damage, but damage to the aluminium chassis, if it gets distorted or suspension mounts torn and the like. Lotus would rather you buy a new chassis.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Roger said:
Lotus would rather you buy a new chassis.

I'm sure they would!

Starting to look into a Spyder space-frame for the Elans, Shipping here to the colonies from Old Blightey is about as expensive as the frame itself. I've been told if I purchase one of each, the shipping would be only slightly higher than if just one at a time... now I have to find the lolly for TWO of 'em! :eek:

OP
prb51

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I found and purchased a 2005 w/26k miles in very nice shape...silver with a repainted front clam (matches perfectly) from some scrapes etc....truly enjoy the car.
It is very purpose built and I understand why one can find them with low miles....many 'think' they want a raw sports car but don't really know what that means until they get one. I love the feel myself.
All of the money invested in an Elise goes to proper frame/engine/suspension parts and not silly comfort features and widgets....Colin would be very proud of this car as it embodies his engineering/design spirit.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
prb51 said:
many 'think' they want a raw sports car but don't really know what that means until they get one.

Truer words...

The doctor/lawyer/dentist who thinks they want to drive these cars, initially thrilled then they either get into a shunt, are expecting a child and 'mom' insists they get rid of the "thing" or scare themselves half to death as the car saves their bacon. Seen it MANY times. Even told a prospective Alfa Spider buyer he shouldn't be in a performance two-seater... he bought it in spite of the advice, had it less than six months. Scared himself silly and traded it on a Chevy. True story. And an Alfa isn't nearly as twitchy and unforgiving as a Lotus.

OP
prb51

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I find the Elise very well planted and not twitchy at all but, then again, I drive older luftgekult 911's too and think they handle wonderfully. Once you get the feel of a rear biased car you appreciate them for their own quirks, like the fantastic manner they dig out of corners.
I find the Lotus less twitchy than the 911 but I enjoy staccato steering as a means of control...it really does work and one can maintain a great deal of forward momentum thru the twisties.
The Elise is a magnificent Lotus rendition of lightness/suspension and a reliable powerplant that likes to rev. I will put a supercharger on it....250 RWHP would be perfect with the 1970 lbs I think.....oh, and remap the ECU for the variable cam @ 5200 rpm.