• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A paint a panel

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Well I did some painting in my homemade crowded paint booth. The good thing is I am able to paint a panel in house because we are in the rainy season for a long time, months, and going outside is not going to work, Seattle area. One problem I had was I divided the apron into segments so I could envision the apron in smaller detail rather than looking at the whole thing and being overwhelmed by the size, and not being able to concentrate. The bad part is one of the markers I used was a very old one that said permeant marker and meant it. The lines blead through no matter how much primmer I put on. I sprayed the area 4 times with the paint knob turned out 3/1/2 times. The line would be gone then in a few minutes it would bleed though again. Thank God I only used that marker twice on the bottom to designate where I was going to stop with the glazing filler.

I used a piece of ¼- 5 layer plywood cut into an inch strip and clamped it under the headlights for a straight bench mark and then walked it down to the mouth of the grill. I recommend using that technique because I could see each area left then right in small rectangles. In addition, I drew a center line then walked that off also. So my old carpenter days came in handy again.

PJ and John made me post
steve

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Yes, I did! With no projects I am living vicariously through Steve, David and Tush. And it's looking very nice!

Most of those markers are alcohol based, so a little rubbing alcohol should take them off. If not, lacquer thinner definitely will, but it could remove some primers, so you have to test it first.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Yes, markers are a bad idea. They will bleed through as you found out. You are starting with what I thought was the most difficult panel of them all :cool: I was less brave and started with the trunk lid...inside.

Keep posting. We all love to follow along

Cheers
Tush

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Sad that I wasn’t included in the quote but I have been dragging rear quarters.... on a bright note I may be starting a different job soon.... we will see. My kid also just qualified and was offered a rowing scholarship.../ which means less I pay out... it is all connected
Yes, I did! With no projects I am living vicariously through Steve, David and Tush. And it's looking very nice!

Most of those markers are alcohol based, so a little rubbing alcohol should take them off. If not, lacquer thinner definitely will, but it could remove some primers, so you have to test it first.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I apologize JP! I'll have to start prodding you like I do Steve!

Our 2 last kids are graduating from high school next spring. The Wife and I plan to sell the house and live in an RV for a couple years to pay for twins in college. That's why all the "fun" projects are on hold for now. It's up to you guys to fill the void!

kstanley44

Country flag
And if JP is dragging, I guess I am almost dead in the water. But I did weld in a new battery box, after getting a better aftermarket version from TRF. Chassis is painted and awaiting all suspension parts to be painted. Have to get my wife's van out of the garage!!

My question, that shows my inexperience, is what is the purpose of the checkerboard pattern drawn out by Steve on the apron. Insuring symmetry in glazing the panels?? Thanks,
John, you may go to a RV, but make sure you stay connected to the forum.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Probably no real purpose, the idea for me was to help envision what the area looked like compared to each side, especially at the points where the apron slops coming down on the side of the headlight frames. I would look at one side then the other and the shapes kept not staying symmetrical when I free styled it. I could not tell where one slant started and the other began because the apron turned into a big gray and yellow blob. Plus drawing lines is easier and more fun than doing bodywork, and it looks intelligent.
steve

kstanley44

Country flag
Thanks Steve. Makes sense, see what happens when I get to that stage.

And John, Richmond is south of JP in Northern VA so you an plan on more stops!!!!!!!!!!:smile:

Happy Thanksgiving,