• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Why can't everything come packed this way?

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
One of my little pet peeves is dealing with excessive styrofoam when I unpack some new large item I've purchased. For example, the Husky tool chest I recently bought was packed full of styrofoam and made a big mess and was a pain to dispose.

The new Gladiator floor cabinet I just bought to complement the two hanging cabinets I've had for years came packed using folded corrugated cardboard - not one single piece of styrofoam. When I was done unpacking and assembled the new cabinet, I was able to take the box and all the cardboard packing and toss the whole thing in the cardboard recycle bin at the local transfer station.

IMG_3434.jpg

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Basil, your garage is too neat!
I admit, I have to stop and put everything away every few days.

This picture is the result of about a month of cleaning, organizing and re-organizing. Anyone's guess how long it will stay this way.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
You're merely one project away from a mess. :rolleye:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Basil,
I agree with you.When we got new appliances,I took the styrofoam
back to Sears to be recycled.I have a hunch that they just threw it in the trash,
but hope not.
There are places that recycle it,but the nearest one was in Lodi,CA,
about 6 hours away.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Basil,
I agree with you.When we got new appliances,I took the styrofoam
back to Sears to be recycled.I have a hunch that they just threw it in the trash,
but hope not.
There are places that recycle it,but the nearest one was in Lodi,CA,
about 6 hours away.

UPS I'm told will recycle those little packing peanuts. With our trash service we have a special blue bin where we place lots of recyclable stuff like aluminum, cardboard, paper, glass, etc., but they don't take styrofoam.

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
My city, San Luis Obispo California, banned polystyrene take-out food containers in 2015 but has yet to address the waste disposal of polystyrene foam in general. Styrofoam remains the second most prevalent waste product on Our beaches in my state.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Back in the day, we used real popcorn for packing. Then tossed it in the compost pile (or food garbage). No waste or disposal problems at all.

There were some problems (it absorbed moisture), but sure was less problematic than modern styrofoam type materials.

Here's what looks like a modern alternative:

https://puffystufftn.com/

And it's made in Tennessee!

Tom M.

Country flag
Things come packed that way because I need a job! :smile: No, seriously, that's what I do. I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Packaging Engineering. When people ask me what I do, I say you know when you get something and you take it out of the box but you decide to return it and try to get it back in the box but it won't fit - I'm THAT guy! :D

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Things come packed that way because I need a job! :smile: No, seriously, that's what I do. I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Packaging Engineering. When people ask me what I do, I say you know when you get something and you take it out of the box but you decide to return it and try to get it back in the box but it won't fit - I'm THAT guy! :D

You don't have to be so happy about it!! :livid:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Sonny boy sent me a large package for my birthday this week. Packed in styrofoam containers, it was 20 large stone crab claws from Joe's Stone Crab in Miami, along with a key lime pie, a mallet and wood pallet, and some mustard sauce. I only like those claws cold. We ate them last night along with my son and his wife - up for Thanksgiving - and my daughter. My son cracked them by putting them in a small plastic bag and whacking them with the mallet. We are now looking for a place to put the styrofoam boxes.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sonny boy sent me a large package for my birthday this week. Packed in styrofoam containers, it was 20 large stone crab claws from Joe's Stone Crab in Miami, along with a key lime pie, a mallet and wood pallet, and some mustard sauce. I only like those claws cold. We ate them last night along with my son and his wife - up for Thanksgiving - and my daughter. My son cracked them by putting them in a small plastic bag and whacking them with the mallet. We are now looking for a place to put the styrofoam boxes.

Who's "Sonny boy"? Someone on the BCF?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Stone crab! Spread double layers of newspaper on the table, have a bowl of drawn butter nearby, use paper plates for placement to start whackin' those beauties with the mallet... Safety glasses and a large nappy are recommended. :wink:

My favorite place for the activity. Or drag a bucket of 'em home.

Pardon me while I go empty the drool cup. :smirk:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Sonny boy was my son. He's here with us now for a few days with his wife.
The ultimate place for crabs of all sorts is the Rustic Inn in Ft. Lauderdale. You'd better be wearing a bib when you go there. As a related story, several Dungeness Crabs were caught this summer here in Long Island Sound. What they were doing 3000 miles from their Pacific home no one knows.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mitsy worked there in the late '70's, there were "employee benefits" back then if on the closing crew: all unsold crab was divided up between those interested, to take home. Great days.