• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tempted by an '88 XJS

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
D

Deleted member 8987

Interesting advertisement. Last line in main body:
Classic bagged lowered custom

I know what those four things are in reference to automobiles. But why reference them in this ad?

I agree on run, forrest, run.

1.5 grand seems cheap.....and while most Jags have a healthy appetite for $100 bills, V-12 Jags often have similar appetites for $1,000 bills.

I am somewhat perturbed by the lack of an official Washington State Plate on the nose. I wonder where it is titled?

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Computer controlled idle. Some sensors are no longer available. Already bagged and lowered, might be an easy project, but have not seen an easy fix XJS V-12. We have 3 in IL/MO on craigs with same problem. Conversion to carbs, might be fix.

number6

Jedi Trainee
The price is attractive, but we all know that 12 cylinder Jags are absolute animals to maintain, although those who want them know this already.
It's hard to guess what the problem could be, but be prepared to empty your wallet often. In college I owned a Jag XKE V-12 for about a month, real head turner, fun to drive
and all that, but the first tune up (by the book) at 700.00 ensured it was gone shortly thereafter. Engine management complexity cost a lot and on that engine everything must be
absolutely right, no fudging allowed on anything, and no skipping steps either. I discovered that the close enough on the MG attitude wouldn't cut it on the Jag. Still, now that I am older
and semi retired I might consider it since I wouldn't have to rely on it as a daily driver as I had to in college.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
When I bought my 86 XJS V-12, it needed two exhaust pipes that were on each side of the tranny. I tuned, cleaned and ran it daily with no problems. Changed oil every 3K. Had a rear seal leak on tranny, pulled and took into trans shop and they rebuilt for $400. Couple years later I put on Konis. Never cost me more than a water pump, pipes, shocks, tranny rebuild and fuel. My "British Car Tuneups" cor all British cars, was 100 mph for a few minutes each month. Blew the cobs out and kept systems clear. Did this at the Jag shop I worked at too. Since I had been working on these things since 1965, I still do not have cost problems, because I buy wholesale parts and do it myself. Kept the XJS for 5 years and moved to XJ6s, and now MK1 and Land Rovers.

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Run Forrest, run away. XJS's are trouble, especially V12s.
Marv

I am on my second XJS. Love them both. They are sensitive to poor maintainance, but once the bugs are worked out, it is a great fun car to drive and requires little in out of the ordinary repairs.

There could be a number of reason it dies, from very simple (adjusting the butterflies) to major (transmission, etc). download Kirby Palm's book and then decide. There are plenty of people out there to give you advice.

D

Deleted member 8987

I suppose the electronics is what I saw fail most..and that includes the wiring...miles of it..insulation brittle and connectors failing....but I guess the biggest absolute failure is the tendency to overheat and drop a valve seat...or just drop a valve seat.
Several have been abandoned in the local club where they quit.

D

Deleted member 8987

Been thinking about this more. There is a show about a Canadian restoration shop in Canada...The Guild.
They got one of these in for restoration.

One of the things about Jags is they have to be driven and maintained. Larry's is both.
The one in Craig's List does not appear to be either.

Anyway, they had to buy ANOTHER Jag to get the interior AND full wiring harness...and the engine bay harness was non-usable...heat, dried out and cracked insulation, connectors....the job became huge.

I have read various places about back-converting to cabs to keep the EFI engines running.

Lots of luck!