• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lefty Righty

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
Great forum. I have been floating for a while in the background reading everyones issues (learning too), but yesterday someone asked me a good question and I believe only this forum can answer it. Have a gander.

I am currently rebuilding a 67 Sprite from the ground up. A friend of mine was recently looking at the stripped out tub and asked if the transmision tunnel and angle are opposite for a right-handed car. Is the Sprite tunnel angle always to the left? We all know that the Sprite/MG tub is designed to install the steering on either side, but the transmission seems out of place for a right side driver. What's up with that?

thanks
Fred

john_j

Jedi Trainee
They are the same for left or right hand drive. I think the part of the tunnel that is over the gearbox might be assymetric to give space for the clutch slave cylinder, which will always be on the right.

OP
fmichaels

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
John,
So a UK version of the car would have the standard transmission shift pattern but from the right side. That's interesting. Is this a standard with other cars that have similar left/right configurations?
Thanks,
Fred

Bugeye58

Yoda
Fred, nothing changes exept the drivers position. And of course the pedals, but they are oriented the same regardless of the drivers side. Clutch, brake, accelerator.
It's been like that on all the right hand drive cars I've ever driven. You just have to get used to shifting with your left hand.
Jeff

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Yep....what Jeff said.

Also, on Sprites they've pushed the trans back much further than was originally intended for that design (Morris Minor) and the trans is not symetrical. There is a big bump on the right side of the trans for the starter (on later cars like my 1500 car, the starter is on the left, but they kept basically the same tunnel design anyway)

You may notice that some Brit cars are a bit more roomy on the right side than the left side (I think MGAs are like this). That's because the right side is the "proper" side for the driver, so the designers biased the design for extra space on that side even for left-hand drive cars.

OP
fmichaels

fmichaels

Jedi Knight
Well I guess if I ever get the chance to drive a true UK version I won't say no, but I'll certainly make sure there's lots of open space around. Thanks for the history on that one. It's certainly a topic for conversation. Hope to have some pics for you guys soon of my rebuilt tub. The "welder" has it right now.