• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hey Tom!

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Is it me you tempt? Seems like a quarter of the members are Toms. Anyway, I am tempted although I don't know if I'll go to Ontario. It is below Hagerty's "fair" condition valuation as I assume the price is Canadian. It looks like it might be better than fair too, that is if corrosion hasn't taken hold and too bad it's got that sunroof. Those turn out to be a good sources of rot.
A buddy of mine had one like it back in the early 60's. Quirky yet quite comfortable as I recall, with a real clackity, clack smelly diesel. Lots to like.
Tom

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Was actually thinking Tom Nutmag Tom but, temptation is temptation I suppose. :grin:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tom,

Are you ever going to post those pictures of the
Mercedes diesel trip (Press photos)?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
J-P - my resolution has always been ... never get interested in something for sale that's still on the delivery flat bed, especially with no description and only exterior photos.

Might be a nice boat anchor.

TM

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
JP - that one has the correct steering wheel for a '59. But there are no other photos showing interior, exterior, or engine area, so who knows. And he adds "alloy wheels"! Man, talk about a turnoff, unless you're looking to build a rat rod.

From the dash emblem, I'm thinking it's a 180D, not a 190D.

ack - who knows if the guy even owns the car. Note his precise and explicit wording: "vintage original Mercedes Benz 190 D model 1959 100 % original in storage for 53 years engine is original also same as it was in 1959 very rare peace very"

eek

(But if someone actually inspected the car in person, it could turn out to be a very good price for a bit of history.)

Edit: it may even not be a diesel. I don't see the dash glow plug indicator ("salt shaker"), tho' it could be hidden by the vertical frame of the draftless ventilator.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I missed out on seeing this one, I did however see this 68 when I clicked the last link JP provided.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-car...le/1409888523?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

there was one of those parked in a lot just down the street. was there for at least 6 months and took literally every bit of willpower I possessed not to go in!

No Pontons in my driveway - SWMBO would kill me! (actually I would kill myself) Which is not to say I wouldn't want one - though there are other cars higher on the list. - but, need to get my existing projects done first. (though I might eat those words :smile:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
My dad owned a 68 diesel for a few years when I was a kid, I really enjoyed that car and would happily buy one if I ran across one.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold