• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

new wheeler dealers

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Anyone watch the new series with Ant Anstead (I think that's his name). Knows his stuff but no real chemistry with Mike (who seems a bit toned down). And he seems obsessed with "shut lines". Don't think he'd be happy with most of our LBCs.

D

Deleted member 8987

I refuse. Like Windoze 10 or smart phones...not interested.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I like it... but I like "Ant" too.

[never much cared for Mike, but loved Edd - I think Ant is a pretty good replacement]

Last edited:

dklawson

Yoda
I have watched one episode where they worked on an old Dodge van to turn it into a beach wagon. They were customizing, not restoring or repairing. If that's the direction the other episodes are going, I won't be watching many more. There are already lots of shows about customizing cars.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Ant was also in "For the Love of Cars" which unannounced was filmed in his British Restoration Shop. He is an excellent restorer. Wheelers in the beginning was about how to work on your car yourself and get extra money on resale. Ed moved on and showed us a lot of things that can be done on our own. The show was really never about restoration. Ant likes to rebuild , Mike likes to dramatize and maybe make a little money. If you watch Ant he will show you some fabrication that is excellent, as in the Saab 96. Not a fabulous show, but is what the sponsors want, which is why Ed quit.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
In the old show, I tolerated Mike because I enjoyed Edd. Guess I won't be watching the new ones since I canceled cable anyway.

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Not a big fan of the new format. Never have cared much for Mike. Hope Edd get another repair type show going. I think he is a cool dude.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I watched the old show because I enjoyed the way Edd described what he was doing and why...never pretentious. The new guy just doesn’t do much for me and the chemistry between them isn’t there. I hope Edd starts a new show one of these days.
Rut

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Saw a couple of the early shows when they were on PBS and didn't care much for the "fix it to flip it" paradigm. And Mike struck me as too much a showman, not enough craftsman. Started watching again the last season and liked Edd's contribution. Now watched the new show once; the refurb of the Cossie RS. Ant has certainly got the skills and experience to do about anything, but my interest wanes when things like an old Saab or a Dodge van are the "subject". feh.

Much more to my liking is "Fantomworks". Dan Short and his crew are a good contrast to Foose and the 'chop, swap and customize' mentality, IMHO. At least Velocity is giving us a good cross-section of automotive shows.

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Doc I will agree with you about the cross section, However Dan Short is almost as obnoxious as Body Cottington. He he has kept from being neck by his employees is beyond me. If I were one I would have given him the digitus sigularus in about 10 minutes. No reason to be abusive to your employees. I hate abuse.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Well, the abrupt manner is likely due to his military experience and training, he's used to issuing orders bruskly. I'd have no problem working with him. And I also look at it from a shop owner's point of view, there are times when frustration overcomes prudent behavior.

He could certainly tone down the gruff manner a bit, but I've watched many episodes where he thanks an employee or gives the crew credit for the work.

Boyd Coddington, OTOH, is just arrogant IMHO.

Last edited:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Never like Boyd Coddington... but the guy is dead so those shows are gone. Too much shop stress to enjoy with that series.

Country flag
In the old show, I tolerated Mike because I enjoyed Edd. Guess I won't be watching the new ones since I canceled cable anyway.

I just caught the last episode of the new season with Ant; basically, it was just outtakes and 'extended scenes.' If fact, the show about the BJ8 being taken to auction was the climax of the season and, say what you will about Mike, he was enffusive and genuine in his praise and admiration for the Healey (even dropped a few f-bombs in the outtake). I wouldn't be surprised if he raised the (monetary) values of our cars a bit.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
And they got $71,000 for it (as I recall).

SimonH

Freshman Member
I still havent seen the new series - but really looking forward to it.
Edd China was legend though - he's going to be a big loss.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
If you can get by the antics, it could be OK. Ant does not show as much mechanical prowess as Edd was able to an that is due to the media. Ant is a restorer, wish they would let him show more of the fabrication and fitting he does in his specialty shop. Yes, Edd cannot be replaced, hopefully he finds a new home and comes back to us.

SimonH

Freshman Member
If you can get by the antics, it could be OK. Ant does not show as much mechanical prowess as Edd was able to an that is due to the media. Ant is a restorer, wish they would let him show more of the fabrication and fitting he does in his specialty shop. Yes, Edd cannot be replaced, hopefully he finds a new home and comes back to us.

Larry - any word on him getting back into TV?
Maybe his own show or something like that??

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Have not heard. He said he would announce something if it happens. Probably has to take a hiatus for contract reasons. Just waiting.