Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to find an accurate tyre pressure gauge

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Re: Trying to find an accurate tyre pressure gauge

From https://winters.com/engineering/gauge-accuracy/
    "Accuracy can be expressed as percent of span or percent of indicated reading. Percent of span is the most common method with percent of indicated reading being generally limited to precision test gauges or high resolution digital gauges. Accuracy as a percent of span means that a 100 psi gauge with a 2% accuracy is accurate to within 2 psi whether the gauge is reading 1 psi or 100 psi. Accuracy as a percent of indicated reading means that a gauge with 0.1 % accuracy displaying 100 psi is accurate to 0.1 psi while the same gauge displaying 50 psi is accurate to 0.05 psi—twice as accurate."
    My working career was pretty much oil & gas, primarily pipelines, so I'm guessing that the gauges I ran into were probably percent of indicated reading - which is not applicable outside of some pretty narrow bounds. Doug

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Further down the above web-page:

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

From https://www.instrumart.com/pages/539...ccuracy-grades
    "Accuracy can be expressed as percent of span or percent of indicated reading. Percent of span is the most common method with percent of indicated reading being generally limited to precision test gauges or high resolution digital gauges. Accuracy as a percent of span means that a 100 psi gauge with a 2% accuracy is accurate to within 2 psi whether the gauge is reading 1 psi or 100 psi. Accuracy as a percent of indicated reading means that a gauge with 0.1 % accuracy displaying 100 psi is accurate to 0.1 psi while the same gauge displaying 50 psi is accurate to 0.05 psiótwice as accurate."
    I worked mostly in the oil and gas industry, so may have been exposed to the 'percent of indicated reading', which sure doesn't apply to tyre gauges!

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

(Sorry guys - I seem to have managed to duplicate several posts. Dang)

If I have a 60 psi dial tyre gauge built to ASME B40.1, accuracy 'B (commercial gauges)', then I have 2% of the span (1.2 psi) over the 15 to 45 psi range. Unless the packaging specifies the accuracy range, then I've got a pretty good chance that it is 'D (commercial gauges)' and has a +/-5% accuracy (+/-3 psi) over the entire range; 6 psi, in other words.
    1959 pristine 948 cc Bug-Eye; DCOE, 5 speed; bought 1971
    1960 BE bought 1971 & stored since; body tub restored and reassembling (1275; etc.)
    1962 AH 3000 BJ7; 3rd owner (1982?); in shop Oct. 2015 for paint job - home soon!
    1962 VW Meyers Manx clone dune buggy; stripped last winter and being reassembled
    1969 Kawasaki 500 H1 Triple, orig. owner; stored since 1973, but runs again! 1999 Buell S3

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I've just skimmed through the Amazon/Rhino site and - hooray!!! - all questions are answered.
    "Q: Your product states ASME B40.1 accurate. What grade accuracy has this been certified to B, A, 4A, 3A, 2A, 1A?"
    "A: Hi Sabrina, sorry about the delayed response we have been very busy with Black Friday and Cyber Monday promotions. Our Gorilla Gauges are certified to A Grade which is +-1%. "
    This is an industrial standard, and provides 1% accuracy from 25 to 45 psi on a 60 psi gauge. Doug