• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Modern Classics-to-be?

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It always depresses me when I look at a page of auto ads and all the dealers have are trucks and sedans.

There are very few sports cars - Miata/Fiat, Corvettes, the Toyabaru twins....and a bunch of people under the mistaken impression that a Camaro or Charger is somehow a sports car.

There are a couple of cars from the recent past that do qualify, though, both of which I own and can confirm that they are indeed sports cars.

The first is the Pontiac Solstice coupe. Only 1266 made before Pontiac was cancelled, and less than 300 of the manual transmission GXP (turbo) cars. Like any car, they are middle of the road on handling when issued, made to accommodate young Turks and little old ladies, but with minor suspension modification they handle very well indeed, and are subject to easy modification for power.

The factory stock 260 bhp could be boosted to 290 bhp and the torque from 260 Tq to 340 Tq with a simple factory available retune. A simple change in turbo and retune with a computer can boost power to 400+ without ever needing to open up the engine - simple bolt ons only. My moderately tuned car gets 30 mpg+ on the highway and does a 1/4 mile under 13 wecs, flat. Due to rarity, the coupe version has depreciated much more slowly and with time will probably climb a bit again. The convertibles offer the same performance potential with considerably lower prices - under $10K now in a lot of cases, vs, approaching $30K for coupes.

The other modern sports car that caught my eye was the BMW Z4M. I looked for one when I was thinking of replacing my 88 Fiero GT that was my daily driver for 20 years (300 BHP turbo with modified suspension etc.) Given that I prefer sports coupes, I looked for a Z4M coupe but came up empty. It was in 2009 just after they had discontinued that model, and none were for sale. I ended up buying the Solstice and have been very happy with it.

More recently I found out a couple of things. The reason I had trouble finding the Z4MC wasn't just that they had been new, it was that they only sold about 130 in Canada and 1815 in North America. They were really the last of the true M cars (the BMW marketing people suddenly realized that slapping that letter on anything up to and including their trucks would result in additional sales and all they needed to justify it was different wheels or some such).

These cars used the 3.2 l. straight 6 S54 engine which is naturally aspirated and produces 330 bhp at 7900 rpm, and they also got the giant floating disc brakes of the even rarer M3 CSL, and were only made with a 6 speed manual trans, so are specced for competition or spirited street driving. Unusually, they, like the Solstice, bring higher prices for the coupes than the convertible versions.

Nothing (except a V12) sounds as nice as a straight 6 at that sort of rpm, IMHO.

So collectible interesting sports cars are out there for those who look hard.

My pair:

Attachments

• B2.jpg
    B2.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

dklawson

Yoda
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is something that (in part) can determine what becomes collectible or sought after. In my personal opinion (and not based on any facts) several "sports cars" over the last 15 to 20 years have very plain styling and resemble bars of soap. Without some universally accepted outward beauty a car may never become a future classic even if it offers performance.

OP
billspohn

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Agree.

The 370 looks rather lumpish as do some of the Audis.

The S2000 looks better than the usual Japanese cars (barring the excellent Datsun 240Z, examples of attractive Japanese styling are few anf far between).

I had hopes for the Toyabaru twins, FRS and BRS, which usually look better in person than in photos, but they should really do a convertible version and give them a bit more power.

The last iteration (FD) of the Mazda RX-7 with turbo is a car I like the looks of, though, although they still didn't get it exactly right, and I have always liked and respected the old NSX a lot and even considered owning one.

1991-honda-acura-nsx-this-is-a-25-year-old-vehicle-nhtsa-and-epa-exempt-1.jpg

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Friend threw me the keys to an S2000 this summer and I took it out for a drive. Very impressive and revs like mad. I would hesitate to turn one down if offered at the right price but I wonder about future parts availability or finding someone experienced to work on it.

OP
billspohn

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Pretty safe on expertise - Honda is making a lot of VTEC engines and will continue to do so. Neat that it was the highest output from a naturally aspirated engine around until the Ferrari 458 Italia nosed it out (123.78 bhp/liter).

Turbo is a whole different ballgame - my daily driver Solstice (lightly modified) puts out 187.5 bhp/l.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Bill, what does the Solstice weigh?

...and I do fancy an S2000.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I think there are actually lots of choices.

Mustang/ Corbette/ Camaro/ Various custom truck models/ PT Cruiser/ GM whatever their retro truck was (Don't forget Midgets were throwaway cars in their day) / Mercedes AMG anything/ and there is a massive tuner market that we are pretty much unaware of - Golf/ Civic/ Acura/ Fiesta - I am on another forum and as first and second generations of these start disappearing they get collectible - not necessarily valuable. Don't forget the original questions was not whether they appealed to us or whether we liked them. :grin:

Oh, and even Saab and Volvo have a following. Miata/ likely Fiat 500/ Mini Cooper/ Samurai (especially as they are biodegradable)

OP
billspohn

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Solstice and Sky weigh just under 3,000.

And why do people keep imagining that Camaros and Mustangs not to mention trucks and sedans are sports cars??

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
While not an "M", my Z4 coupe is one of the most enjoyable sports cars I've owned. Currently it's still just a depreciating asset...so hard to know if it'll have any future collectability. For me though it is a "modern classic". It's a remarkably close reiteration to the Triumph GT6 (like a "continuation" car...long hood, inline 6, closed two seater). My wife and I enjoy using it for old fashioned two lane road trip vacations.

Attachments

• 9082fa5d-1d22-43c7-9e53-2e745321e2e8_zps41f161a4.jpg
    9082fa5d-1d22-43c7-9e53-2e745321e2e8_zps41f161a4.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
OP
billspohn

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Th GT6 was a classic (albeit with a fragile gearbox). Tight quarters inside compared to some, mind you.

The Z4 is a nice looking car in the same theme.

My pair: B3_zpsus7swk6q.jpg

My old and new pair (like yours)

couple2.jpg

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The S2000 and all Hondas, great technology behind them. Add this to a highly skilled and trained set of technicians, and they become a safe bet. I worked for Honda foe 30 years in Southwestern Ontario.
I agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as is definition. So future classics and collectibles may not appeal to any of us, but will to our grandchildren.
Makes you wonder what a car show will look like in 20 years Eh!
Dave

dklawson

Yoda
My concern about all future classics is the availability of unique electronics. One of the car magazines ran an article a few years ago about how difficult it was to restore the owner's Fiero or similar GM car. The basic car was intact but the OBD electronics/computer was NLA. Future classics may include a lot more trailer queens than drivers.

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
FWIW, I am still in love with my Lexus SC430. Alexa is a 2005 and is the Pebble Beach Edition. Will she be a classic, I think so.

349A1A00-AB3C-4BC4-9E67-474318EBDD34.jpgB8339BBA-815E-4B9D-A66A-D46EACF98ADA.jpg
imagejpeg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Judy, when first looking at the Lexus I wondered what that spaceship lookin' thing was, mounted on the hood... on looking closer, realized it's the reflection of the door opener on the ceiling.:crazy:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And it looks like a Sox fan vandelized your license plate too.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Judy, when first looking at the Lexus I wondered what that spaceship lookin' thing was, mounted on the hood... on looking closer, realized it's the reflection of the door opener on the ceiling.:crazy:

Heck, the LEXUS looks like a spaceship!

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
The Z4s predecessor the Z3 coupe and especially the M coupe seem to be going up in price rather than down. As mentioned I think the S2000 is a future classic if it is not there already, I also think the MR2 Spyder as well as the first generation supercharged cars have some classic/appreciation potential, early Boxsters are probably getting close to the bottom of their depreciation curve as well.

OP
billspohn

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The Z3 coupes (known as the Clown-shoe) is certainly going up a bit, particularly the M versions - few made and hard to find. The S54 engined version is especially desirable. Bit hairier and flexible (as in not stiff) a platform than the Z4, mind you.. The Z4M will probably be the last M car that ever has a highly tuned naturally aspirated engine - like many manufacturers, BMW is switching to turbos.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'll throw one out there: 30 years from now, the Honda Element will be considered the VW Bus of this generation. I thought it was a bit nuts myself, but the people who own them seem to be fanatical about them.