• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oh Brother !

histerical

Jedi Hopeful
I was parked on the side of the road in front of my daughter's house Sunday Morning in Great Barrington, Ma., when my son-in-law yelled " You car just got hit!". Young new driver of a huge garbage truck had no idea just how big his rig was and side-swiped the Bugeye. Oh well... obviously it was completely his fault and Hagerty's on the case. I am getting a quote from Dave at Bugeye guy and I think I'll just have him take care of it for me.

Attachments

• 20170925_101002.jpg
    20170925_101002.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 20170925_101010.jpg
    20170925_101010.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 20170925_101017.jpg
    20170925_101017.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 20170925_101024.jpg
    20170925_101024.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 117

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Ouch that hurts to see that. A Post, Door, fender hopefully can be pulled out. It appears the car got moved substantially by the garbage truck. Glad you had a witness to the accident.

nomad

Yoda
I thought at first that "garbage truck" was a euphemism for the modern pick up but no....you got hit by a truck! Man....hate to see that!

Kurt

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Ouch!

Good luck with the repair process. Let us know how it goes.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ouch! - at least you can say that your car got hit by a GT (Garbage Truck).

OP
histerical

histerical

Jedi Hopeful
The Bugeye Guy sent me a quote for $12K to fix the driver's side. I can't wait to see what Hagerty does with that.

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Probably estimate is pricing using original parts (that are available). I am curious, does your insurance have a rental car endorsement?

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Large bummer. But Hagerty is usually a good company to work with, and you should have your choice of a repair company. Let us know how it works out. And, good luck! Make it more better!

OP
histerical

histerical

Jedi Hopeful
Update : I don't have to put a claim in with Hagerty because I was in no way at fault. The police report will show this. My local Allstate guy ( Hagerty is through him somehow) is going to help me file a claim directly with the garbage truck's insurance company. There is no way that damage is $12K. $1K per dent, $2K for the door and $1K to paint the DS below the beads is only $5K. Double that and it's still less. I have another shop that will give me another number. I may just see how much I can get and do it myself, which I am perfectly capable of doing, or say the **** with it and have someone else do the work. I do not need a rental as I have two other cars ( 63 and 68 SAABs) and three scooters z(64 and 76 Vespas and a 63 Lambretta). When I learn more I'll relate it here.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Update : I don't have to put a claim in with Hagerty because I was in no way at fault. The police report will show this. My local Allstate guy ( Hagerty is through him somehow) is going to help me file a claim directly with the garbage truck's insurance company. There is no way that damage is $12K. $1K per dent, $2K for the door and $1K to paint the DS below the beads is only $5K. Double that and it's still less. I have another shop that will give me another number. I may just see how much I can get and do it myself, which I am perfectly capable of doing, or say the **** with it and have someone else do the work. I do not need a rental as I have two other cars ( 63 and 68 SAABs) and three scooters z(64 and 76 Vespas and a 63 Lambretta). When I learn more I'll relate it here.

May I be the voice of the 12k job? There is a strong DIY urge among most of us here - and, yes you could do it yourself, but, consider.

1. There are a number of companies out there who are producing poor quality panel parts. - you can get proper ones but they will cost.

2. To pull some of that into shape you will need a proper alignment tool.

3. You will have the benefit of experienced bodymen (women) to get the lines right and,

4. You may have to paint the whole car to get the colour right.

This isn't an old corolla this is your hobby car, the settlement isn't coming out of your pocket (nor the driver's) - do it right or you will end up kicking yourself - especially if you want to pass the car on at some point.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
A good used door is likely available for $100. But a new one is a really nice thought.

OP
histerical

histerical

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks, I get your point and I might go that way. But....

1. There are a number of companies out there who are producing poor quality panel parts. - you can get proper ones but they will cost. ........I think I'll I'll just need the A pillar skin

2. To pull some of that into shape you will need a proper alignment tool. .... you'd be surprised what I can rig up

3. You will have the benefit of experienced bodymen (women) to get the lines right and,.....I am that guy( not gal) and it's only sheet metal

4. You may have to paint the whole car to get the colour right..... I have some paint left ( maybe enough to do the side under the beads) and it should be easy to match and I painted this one ( and 7 other various vehicles)

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Just a note in support of Hagerty. When I had my "incident", Hagerty came to check the damage, completely agreed with the three estimates I got, and followed the work as it progressed. When more was discovered during the process, Hagerty covered it without question. And I sure agree on the "paint" issue. Hagerty wants it done right, so the car doesn't lose value.

Tom M.

OP
histerical

histerical

Jedi Hopeful
Yes, Hagerty is a great company. A turkey flew into my windshield a few years ago and Hagerty sent me a check for a new Moss glass right away. No questions asked.