Thread: Steering Box Pinion Seal (?)

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Steering Box Pinion Seal (?)

The BE we've been driving off and on since 1972 has what appears to be a white plastic 'seal' closing off the steering column side of the steerig box; the Silver Sprite (disassembled since purchased in 1972) doesn't. We do have the felt pinion seal from AH Spares installed on it, but the felt doesn't seem to want to stay in the steering box recess.
    Anyone got advice as to what was OEM; or alternatives to provide a proper seal? Thanks, Doug
    1959 pristine 948 cc Bug-Eye; DCOE, 5 speed; bought 1971
    1960 BE bought 1971 & stored since; body tub restored and reassembling (1275; etc.)
    1962 AH 3000 BJ7; 3rd owner (1982?); in shop Oct. 2015 for paint job - home soon!
    1962 VW Meyers Manx clone dune buggy; stripped last winter and being reassembled
    1969 Kawasaki 500 H1 Triple, orig. owner; stored since 1973, but runs again! 1999 Buell S3

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Re: Steering Box Pinion Seal (?)

I believe I've seen that plastic cover somewhere for sale. Don't remember if it was E-bay or catalog. I imagine you could make one up out of something.
    65,66 Midget
    57 Berkeley, MGA
    Working on quality rather than quantity