• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What's the scuttle?

satzman

Jedi Hopeful
In a previous post I asked where I could find serial numbers. Someone kindly faxed me a page from the owner's manual indicating that the body number is stamped on the right-hand side of the scuttle. I'm sorry for being "out of it", but what's the scuttle?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Satzman
The Scuttle in Brit Speak is usually interpreted on this side of the pond as FIREWALL.---Keoke

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Satzman,

apart from being a receptacle for coal, it is the part of the body on a convertible where the windscreen is mounted. I would imagine that the numbers are actually on the bulkhead somewhere, i.e., at the end of the engine bay.

Alec

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Hello Satzman,
. I would imagine that the numbers are actually on the bulkhead somewhere, i.e., at the end of the engine bay.---You know the FIREWALL---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Alec

[/ QUOTE ]

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Keoke,

"Two nations seperated by a common language" and nowhere more so than in motor car nomenclature.
By the way, you couldn't wind up a clock.

Alec

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
The scuttle is what we here in the USA refer to as the firewall. Your serial # should be on the side of it in front of the door hinges.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Hello Keoke,

"Two nations seperated by a common language" and nowhere more so than in motor car nomenclature.

Alec

[/ QUOTE ]

Real bugger init,Piman?---Keoke--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

GreenHornet

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
Hello Keoke,

Alec

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the work of the Devil /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif
My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead of fuel, and that's how I like it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
in my '65 S type Service Manual, the "scuttle" word is used for the Fresh Air Ventilator. This ventilator opens by vacuum when you press the AIR button. The same "scuttle" word is used for the Vacuum Servo which opens that Ventilator, as in "Scuttle Ventilator Servo". Then, in my '84 XJ-6 Service Manual, the word "scuttle" is used for the cold or heated air floor-vent located on each side of the center console, near the driver's or passenger's knee. So I disagree that the "scuttle" is the Firewall since the word "Bulkhead" is used for "Firewall" in UK English. I have to assume that "Scuttle" means Ventilator or Vent, whether it is for intake air or exhaust air.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
We all know what that word "assume" means Exotexs.---Keoke-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Country flag
I suspect that the term is used rather loosely and that makes for some confusion. I believe the closest American term is "cowl".

Strictly speaking the scuttle panel is the one on which the windshield rests, usually comprising the dash and a section forward that attaches to the firewall and outer and inner side panels, so that the whole is then the scuttle assembly.

I've often heard the whole refered to as the "scuttle", and have spoken of welding my scuttle to the chassis without provoking gales of laughter, or even sly looks of bemusement amongst my British bretheren....

Given the initial poster's question one might expect to find the information on the firewall as part of the scuttle assembly, rather than on the scuttle panel as strictly understood.

Ain't English wonderful.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
james, your explaination seems most applicable to me. Since I believe, in the Morgan manuals, it is used as the whole assembly from the panel below the "windscreen" including the firewall and inner baulkhead right down to the floor pans. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif
Dave C.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
I must say that I don't really understand the application of this word (scuttle) to the body work of an automobile. My understanding of its meaning is as in a hatch or openning in a container. Most notably used in the marine industry as a small openning in the deck or bulkhead on a ship or boat. Also used as a verb in that if you scuttle a ship you send her to the bottom. I "assume", please take note of my assumption keoke,:smile::smile: that 'to scuttle' means to put holes through out. So how does this apply to a car?
A bit of a tease isn't it.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead of fuel, and that's how I like it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see now....

1 Rod = 5.5 yards, or .003125 miles
40 Rods = .125 miles

1 Hogshead = 63 US Gallons.

Or 504 gallons / mile. And you like it?

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
After all is said, the scuttle ventilator is an opening in the cowl-scuttle which is above the bulkhead-firewall assembly. By the way, I like scuttle ventilators, modern cars don't have them, just like they don't have side window ventilators.

This brings me to the rubber and velvet "edging" around the interior door opening, which is called "draught excluder", but they call it something else in American English and it's only available in Black.

Exotexs

Jedi Knight
Country flag
yes indeedee, but weatherstriping as such could be the rubber around the windshield, (aka windscreen), or the weather seal in the trunk or hood, (aka boot/bonnet), and the particular "draught excluder" (NOT "drought excluder") I am talking about has a "velvety" or "corduroyish" fabric joined to the rubber usually matching the interior color, but in the US, they only have it in Black. I want it in the original Champagne color. Seems that "progress" is not always good. Why are Chrysler, GM, and and Ford producing "Retro" cars? Because many old and young prefer the old cars, literally.