• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

British License Plates

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Anyone know what a 1955 British license plate looks like? PJ

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I don't know that there was just one type of plate then. When I bought my Sprite in 1962 I watched a mechanic make my license. He put plastic letters and numbers through holes in an aluminum plate. Then he used an old soldering iron to melt the pins on the back the panel. Mine was rectangular and I saw some that were square and some that were just stick on characters right on the body of the car.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
This was my TR2 in about 1974. Do not think there was much changing of the plates in those days.

David

TR2(1).jpg

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
It was parked on the grass when I upgraded to a Rover 2000. Needed something to tow my glider trailer.
Do not remember what happened to the TR. It needed a complete rebuild including frame work. Had fiberglass front wings and front apron and lots of filler everywhere. I forgot how bad it looked. Some of the body supports had rusted off the frame. The British weather was really hard on cars.
My Mum may have got tired of looking at it and had it hauled off. I did a lot of miles in that car over a period of 5 years.

David

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
What designates where the car was registered, the letters or numbers, or a combination of the two? PJ

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
In my case it was the WD in my license which was 7339WD. I'm not sure if it was Warwick or Warwickshire. I bought it from Donald Healey's dealership in the city of Warwick.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Here is a copy of the Title (Log book) for my previous TR. As far as I remember the log book was always transfered with the car and the license plate stayed as well. It was totaled when a Morris Minor rear ended me.

David

Log Book.jpg

D

Deleted member 8987

I remember when I got the Jag, took a photo and posted it on a train forum.
One of the regulars (who resides in the UK):
"You Bloody Yanks. You're so arrogant. Take those phony British plates off that Jag. There were never any number a nd letter combinations like that on England...ever."

My response was calm....agreeable (to a certain point).
"You are absolutely right, there were probably never any plates like that in the UK.
However...they are Singapore, and I have the MOT book for this car and those plates."

Dead.
Quiet.

So, you see, you can be "wrong" in people's expectations of what plates on an LBC should look like..and still be "right" and push countless buttons in the process.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol: Good'n Dave!

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Cars of that age would have usually had the stamped aluminium plates, black background with raised silver letters and numbers. plate.jpg

This would have been on the back of certain cars where a conventional plates wouldn't easily fit, such as the VW Beetle. plate1.jpg

These I believe would have been a slightly later design, raised silver digits but mounted individually, rather than being stamped... But still acceptable. plate2.jpg

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
This is a photo of our New car in Ireland. Must have been in 1955 or 56. It was a Hillman Minx.

Ireland tended to follow Britain on things like license plates. You can see the numbers appear to be the raised type, maybe the separate numbers assembled to a backing plate.

David

New Hilman Minx in snow.jpg

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Researching on various sites to find the proper tag for the front of my 55 TF, this tag with raised letters Steve shows is what was used during that period. Thanks Steve for the picture. Letters giving different areas of registration. PJ

View attachment 50122

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
This is a photo of our New car in Ireland. Must have been in 1955 or 56. It was a Hillman Minx.

Ireland tended to follow Britain on things like license plates. You can see the numbers appear to be the raised type, maybe the separate numbers assembled to a backing plate.

David

View attachment 50115

So is the guy in this picture jumping out of the way? Rendering his opinion of the car? Has he thrown a skunk into it? Enquuiring minds need to know.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The prize goes to TM. It is Carrauntoohil County Kerry. That is my Dad showing how deep the snow is with the starting handle. The car would often boil over on the way up.

David