• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How many hours at the controls?

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Whoa! Not sure those crowds should be that close!

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
They did seem close but no telling how old the video is.

I was at an air show in Luxembourg a long time ago and they flew very close to the crowd. Impressive low pass by a passenger jet. The airfield was on a plateau and it came over from behind the crowd and blew hats off. Probable no more than 100 feet up.
Seem to recall there was a Flying Flee along with a Pits Special flown by the German aerobatic champion.

David

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm pretty sure that pilot could parallel park that copter on a NYC street.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I've heard it said, pilots try to fill up their Experience bucket, before their Luck bucket runs out.

He must have both!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
The pilot of that aircraft is no doubt very experienced, possibly a test pilot, BUT, the promoter of that event should have been locked up and throw away the key! Being that close to people doing those maneuvers is unexceptionable. Having a commercial rotor-craft license, been in many types and having been in one that crashed, where the fuselage was cut completely in half, they are more prone to failure than most people realize. If one of those blades had a ground strike, parts can fly the length of a football field, aside from everything else coming unglued. Impressed with the flying, not how it was demonstrated. PJ

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
:iagree:completely. I'm not a pilot but I know enough that I would not have been as close as those spectators. Impressive skills though for sure.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
The Chinook has the same controls as a single rotor helicopter. with the exception of a small tail rotor, which it doesn't have. In place of the tail rotor which is used for directional flight, the rear main rotor changes pitch with the pedals for directional control along with the collective for vertical control, quite a complicated setup. There are some gearing parts on a helicopter that are replaced by age, as from date of installation, not wear, very expensive to maintain, even if it's not used and setting idle for an extended period of time. PJ

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Q: How can a helicopter fly?

A: They're so ugly, the Earth tries to push them away.

Cayley helicopter, 1843:

fig03.jpg