• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General MG Early Midget horn push on Personal wood rim steering wheel...

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
For 16 years I've been looking at the cheap looking plastic center button on my Personal steering wheel, and lusting after MUCH nicer looking ones on the early MGBs. I thought about trying to adapt one of those, but they're simply too large in diameter. So....after a little research, it seemed that using the very early MG Midget horn push just might work. I bought one from LBCarCo and figured I'd find a way to make it work. It helps that I don't need the horn push to work, since that's on a column stalk on the '78 MGB - I just needed it to fit the recess in the steering wheel hub, stay in place, and cover the hole.

In case anyone else wants to try this on an aftermarket wheel, here are the dimensions of the Midget part. The outside diameter of the part is about 59.7mm. The part that goes down into the hub is about 49.35mm wide and 20mm deep. The depth wasn't a problem for me, but the diameter of the hole in the center of my hub is about 54.7mm. I wrapped strips of duct tape around the Midget part until it was a nice, snug press fit into my hub. The Midget part did have a small point at the top to index the part in place on the Midget wheel. I just ground it flush before taping.

Here's the before and after...

SteeringWheel.JPGFront.jpgNew Push.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Looks great, Joe! Who says old guys aren't creative? :jester:

On my Victor TF build (yes, I still have it, and, no, haven't gotten very far), I wanted to replicate the turn signal indicators on the '68-'71 MGBs. I bought a set of Dorman dash lights, a red, blue, and two green, and was going to use them, but then took a close look and it seemed that if the silver part with the cut-out arrow could be removed from the MGB light it might fit over the green lens of the Dorman lights. Was able to remove them from the B lights and they fit perfectly! All it took was a couple of dabs of JB-Weld to hold them in place. Here's the dash - you may be able to enlarge it on your screen and see them, top center:

TF dash new.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That dash looks nice. Can't wait to see the entire car!

You and me both! Looks pretty forlorn at the moment. Saving up for the paint job; engine is at the machine shop (still...); and there's really not much I can do with it at the moment. One of these days....

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S For Sale Early Sprite & Midget Speedometer/Tachometer/Generator etc. Spridgets Classified 2
K MG Midget Early and Later model rear brake shoes.... Spridgets 2
AngliaGT Early '74 Midget - MC/Pedal Box Replacing Spridgets 3
AngliaGT Early '74 Midget - Clutch Master Cylinder Removal Spridgets 7
AngliaGT I Need An Early '74 Midget Buddy Spridgets 5
AngliaGT Early '74 Midget Water Pump Bolts/Alternator Bracket? Spridgets 1
J Fiberglass Fenders for Early Midget MK1 Spridgets 11
Trevor Jessie Decent buy in the Mid-Atlantic on early Midget Spridgets 11
RickB Early Midget boot picture needed Spridgets 3
tony barnhill Early Midget Parts Car - Who's Got One? Spridgets 3
Gearhead Early dash in a later Midget Spridgets 3
U Early '70's Midget Brake System Question Spridgets 5
S TR2/3/3A differential hubs early tr3 and tr2 Triumph 22
S TR2/3/3A Tr2 and early tr3 differential. Triumph 10
C Wanted Early MGB soft top and/or tonneaus, condition not very important MG Classifieds 0
drooartz Early 60's Bentley S3, maintainable? Other British Cars 13
mctriumph For Sale Odd bit for Tr3 and early 3A Triumph Classifieds 0
Joel Lester TR2/3/3A Is "later" style rear view mirror taller than the "early" style? Triumph 6
G TR2/3/3A TR3 starter disassembly rebuild early M428G bomb Triumph 6
vpanza TR2/3/3A EARLY TR3 hubs for wire wheel????? Triumph 5
mctriumph For Sale hood for early Tr4 Triumph Classifieds 0
V MGB Replace late intake manifold angled breather with early model straight? MG 1
Racer-X- Looking for old parts catalog(ue)s with listings/part numbers for early 1960s Vanden Plas 4 Litre Princess Restoration & Tools 3
S TR2/3/3A early tr3 and tr2 kick panels Triumph 3
S TR2/3/3A TR2 and early TR3 wipers Triumph 7
9 TR5/TR250 What is this? Appears to be aluminum fuel cap for TR250 and early TR6 Triumph 13
drooartz MGB Early tail lights on later car MG 17
T Wanted: Early BN1 Sidescreens Austin Healey 2
S TR2/3/3A Rebuilding the early tr3 starter Triumph 5
R For Sale Original AC Ace/Cobra seats. Early 60's, hand made Leveroll by A.W. Chapman, London Other British Classifieds 12
J TR2/3/3A Early Lucas Ignition Switch Triumph 4
J Early BJ8 Armrest Latch Austin Healey 2
B Austin-Healey early 3000 BJ8 Electrical Diagram Austin Healey 0
Boink Early Mini Fuel Gauge - adjusting it British Motor Corp 0
A Early 1967 AH Sprite - installing steering column and new directional switch? Spridgets 0
A TR2/3/3A Early TR3 starter (bomb style) bushings sizes Triumph 7
JPSmit Pre-War Is it too early to write Santa? 1933 MG J1 MG 13
Twit early TR4 Crank Handle wanted Triumph Classifieds 0
T Early BJ7 Vent Window Seal Austin Healey 2
Twit TR4/4A early tr4 check straps Triumph 4
oldbagpipe Wanted Early TR4 Silver [Aluminum] Dash Cluster Triumph Classifieds 1
rr64 Wanted Early MGB Inner Steering Track Rods Wanted MG Classifieds 1
oldbagpipe Located Early TR4 Glove Box Hinges Triumph Classifieds 0
PAUL161 MGB Early B Banjo Rear Gears MG 2
R TR4/4A Early TR4 seat pans Triumph 26
oldbagpipe SOLD!! Early TR4 Short Bubble [Bulge] Bonnet/Hood Triumph Classifieds 5
HealeyRick Early Healey History Austin Healey 2
red57 Wanted WTB Early Austin Healey Horns Austin Healey Classifieds 1
oldbagpipe For Sale Early 1969 TR6 'Stalled Project' $4500 Triumph Classifieds 0
CharlesBN1 Wanted WTB Shelley Jack [6 INCH DL] for Early BN1 Austin Healey Classifieds 0