Thread: Brake fluid missing

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Brake fluid missing

I am losing fluid from the brake/clutch reservoir. Brake cylinders are dry. Can the booster leak internally and burn the fluid in the engine through the intake?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Re: Brake fluid missing

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    I am losing fluid from the brake/clutch reservoir. Brake cylinders are dry. Can the booster leak internally and burn the fluid in the engine through the intake?
    YEP you got it right-- Look like a cloud following you around-
    1966 Daimler V8 Saloon; Safely Fast, Built to Last & and; Smooth as Glass.
    1966 BJ8 [ 2 ] Lil Red & Miss bLU
    1985 XJ6 Saloon
    1948 & 70 Lincoln continentals
    1973 Volvo P1800ES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Hi Goldie,

Since you have a 67 BJ8, I must assume you have a Girling Mk 2B servo. Differing from my Girling Mk 2A servo that has its vacuum connection at the top of the piston canister, The 2B has it at the bottom. A while back, I had a leak in the servo's brake unit that leaked fluid into the canister and eventually filled the unit. The Mk 2A showed no indication of errant fluid and the fluid just seemed to disappear. This can not happen to the Mk 2B which, opposite to the Mk 2A, has its vacuum check valve on the bottom of the piston canister. I expect the disappearance of your fluid, if from the servo, would be sucked from the servo into the intake manifold and burned or at least expelled. Check your rear carburetor and rear plugs for any indication of excess oil deposits and/or burning.

One last suggestion, I also had the master leak in the cabin and, because it was not excessive, was absorbed into the padding under the rug (which was in close proximity). Again, it took me quite a while to find the leak as the loss was apparent at the reservoir but the cabin rug and brake plunger cover seemed dry (and again required getting under the dash to pull the rug apart).

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

If you happen to be using silicone fluid, the cloud behind you and the deposit on the plugs would be bright white.
    Steve Byers
    HBJ8L/36666
    BJ8 Registry
    Havelock, NC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had the same problem and got a very nice replacement for the original servo from www.tomsimport.com, problem solved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was the reservoir leaking. I wasn't getting any smoke from the exhaust so I figured it must not be the servo. The fluid was leaking slowly from the 50 year old original reservoir at the bottom. I have owned this car for 48 years. I started another thread about whether I needed to bleed the system after replacing it. Many thanks to those who helped with responses. BTW I ended up ordering the part from AH Spares as it was out of stock at Moss. Shipping was almost as much as the part.

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Thanks for 'closing the loop.' Leaky reservoir isn't commonly suggested for disappearing BF; the servo usually gets the blame.