• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What Now, new gas tank filler neck is about 1/2-3/4" too short

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Team,

Need some thoughts. The Filler neck on my Canadian Made Gas tank is about 1/2" to 3/4" too short. It comes just flush
with the boot deck. Bolted up tight down below. and even without the filler neck gasket not sure it would make it there. So is my option.

1) Find a tank neck off of a latter Spridget, cut this tank neck and use that rubber hose from a later Spridget to connect to the tank. That would probably work but in these days of ethanol not sure how wise that would be.
2) Could try going without a gasket up top. Again absolutely minimal amount of the filler neck is up above the top of the boot.
) A LeMans style cap but even those need some amount of filler neck up above the top of the boot. My odds of getting to a show next Sunday just went to slim.
View attachment 49366

Country flag
Mine was shorter than the stock tank, but it was long enough to go through and use the gasket. How thick is the packing between your tank and the body?

If the tank is new I would just slice the tube and weld in a section of tubing to get the length I need.

But before doing anything drastic, fit it without the grommet and see if it is long enough without the binding.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim,
My tank was just a little short too...not as short as yours though. Trevor has some good suggestions and if all else fails you can cut and put a hose in like the newer Spridgets.
Rut

markberry

Jedi Trainee
Hmmmm. I just put one of those Canadian made tanks in my Bugeye and it fit perfectly. You're sure there's nothing bent on top of the tank that could be interfering with the boot floor?

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Tank is new, How about the rubber sleeve used on Spridgets Post '62. Angles here are pretty **** critical. Let me go drop the tank and refit without the grommet.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My tank is a later and I cut the neck off another and used hose between them
12 years now no issues.

Desert Rat

Country flag
I had the exact same problem with my replacement tank. I've seen some fit perfectly and some not. Cut the neck and use fuel approved hose from NAPA.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Other option is to put the old tank back in with the new Fuel Sender. The old tank was in pretty good shape but I had noticed a few rust flakes in the fuel filter. Not many but I did see 2-3 when I looked at the filter.

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Jim
Have you put the two tanks side by side ?? It would tell you if it is the install or the Tank. I just installed ( last fall) a new tank Ebay Canadian Mfg with no issues. It was a pain to fit but neck is correct length.
If it is the tank, and you do not want to weld, just extend it with a piece of fuel hose as mentioned above

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Joe that is likely the solution I will end up with.

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
You can fix it this way...

P1030889.jpg

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Many cars use a rubber intermediate hose. I would just cut it and fit a couple inches of hose with a couple clamps. That is the set up on my TR250, good for nearly 50 years now, I did replace the original when I redid the car in 2010.

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
And where do you think that length of gas fill pipe went? Mine was inside the tank. About 1.5-1.75 inch. Think about it........

Attachments

• PB100023a.JPG
    PB100023a.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 95
OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Got a solution to go to a LeMans Style Cap and a piece of Rubber Hose and Clamps. And since this tank has never seen fuel not an issue with cutting. No additional 4th of July Kabooms.

Country flag
So... are you go Cincy British car days? I might go. I might even drive the Bugeye if I get the pedal box/MC switched out.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Trevor, Show is the one in Fairfield. Won't know until the weekend. Since I need to get car operational to get down to the Muffler Shop on Sat AM. Standing between me and going are Clutch and Brake Bleeding, Resolving Gas Tank Issues, Installing Windscreen. Muffler pipe was cut just in front of rear axle in order to pull the rear end out. Pipe was welded in place from front to rear. Truly no muffler at the present time.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Bugsy IV will make it to the Dayton Show on August 5. Also a little nervous to drive without any time to sort out issues, like even a 10 mile Test Drive to figure out what isn't working yet.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Progress on Punchlist, I now have brakes. Forgot the one gotcha about converting to later backing plates, drums will likely rub rim against backing plate. Angle grinder to the rescue. Trimmed a few thousandth's off the drums and now no rubbing. Not also to self, remember to tighten brake line at Union on rear end. Hard to build pressure when line is not tightened. Once I pumped about 1/2 pint of fluid on the flood I quickly determined why I wasn't building pressure. Brakes feel great will know more in next few days. Clutch to come Thursday night. Windshield to install, gas tank solution to be found and installed. fluids into radiator and rear end, and a Muffler. Wheels are on, brakes bled ready to go romp as soon as fuel issues are resolved. ,

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
See photos of my fix on ahexp.com for fixing too short tank neck using a filler cap from a Spitfire. Too many pics there to repost over here as well.