• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

70s Rovers

G

I used to have a 74 P6 back in the UK. I really miss it for some sick masochistic reason (the steering went, it crashed into a tree, the seatbelt didn't lock and I went through the screen. I spent quite a time in hospital). Even despite that I STILL think fondly of it.

I know a few made it over here. Does anyone know how many, and what would be a reasonable price for a good one. I saw a rough one on ebay a few weeks ago that made about 2k.

Please don't tell my wife, she'll kill me if she thinks I'm looking for yet another car...

I used to lust after P5s too, but they were too much money back then. Old Jags too. I think I've got a problem.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I used to lust after P5s too, but they were too much money back then. Old Jags too. I think I've got a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

You and me both brother! I had a P6 3500S with manual transmission, the rear suspension came through the floor during a spirited drive.......I thought the MOT was supposed to catch that? Ever since I have hankered after another. They drive so nicely, and have a unique character. I also had a Jag, the XJ12, and would dearly love a P5 Coupe.........

OP
G

Mine was so rotten that the inner sills and a good part of the floor were patched with flattened bean cans pop rivetted into place and covered with underseal. The MOT didn't catch that either, nor the fact that the passenger door used to fly open around roundabouts (whith sometimes hilarious results).

All an MOT was was a way for the mechanic to make an extra few quid on the side, at least it was around where I grew up. They had 2 prices...

The sick thing is that even with all the problems the bloody thing had I still want another one. A guy I know in the UK offered me a 73 RHD 3.5 last year. It was restored and really really nice (it was his baby until the 2 legged one came along). I almost bought it until the realities of shipping, importing, registering and then driving an RHD car in NY traffic hit home. For once common sense prevailed.

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
You should be able to track down a decent Rover P6 with the 4-cylinder for around $5K over here, to get a P6 with the V8 you may have to double that. They are reasonably common here, and it shouldn't be too difficult to track one down.

There are some active Rover clubs here in North America that should be of help in sourcing a car, one club based in Toronto (Canada), one in Vancouver (Canada), and I think there are some in the States too. And also the British Saloon Car Club of Canada - https://www.geocities.com/motorcity/7967 which always has lots of leads on cars for sale.

Hope this all helps, and good luck... The Rover P6 is a great car!

OP
G

10K - Crikey.
I paid two hundred quid for the last one. That's getting into Jensen territory...

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
I'm talking about here in North America though... I'm not sure what current U.K. pricing is for the P6 series...

I'm no expert but have been a past observer of the pricing market for British saloon cars here, and those are the typical prices I've seen. The V8 version seems to command more money here, but the 4-cylinder version can be found for fairly reasonable prices.

Actually... I know of one person in southern Ontario who may have a couple of P6 2000's for sale, but I believe they are the 2000SC version from about 1966 or so, and that both need work (not runners).

OP
G

You can take the $ and turn it to sterling, and possibly add some. They are much more popular over there...

Thanks for the thought with the SCs, but right now I have more than enough work with the bloody TR6. I'd likely want a V8 too, since that's what I had.

DieselBrad673

I have a lead on a couple P6s in Arizona, if interested I can give you the guys Email -

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
... I'm not sure what current U.K. pricing is for the P6 series...

[/ QUOTE ]

A fairly reasonable guide to current UK prices for many popular old cars can be found at the Practical Classics site:

https://www.practicalclassics.co.uk

You can then call up a list of the manufacturer and get a listing of the cars made and then access their "financial details":

https://www.practicalclassics.co.uk/vehicle/by-id/992/finance.ehtml

For an example of a P6 3500, in poor, average and excellent condition along with some auction results.

Note: You can also use an on-line auto sales system:

www.autotrader.co.uk

to see what's being sold. The P5 and SD1 have their own categories but the P6s have to be searched for using the 3500 and the 2200 (I think, but none seemed listed for that, currently)....

SpannerMan

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
The 2200 was an SD1. The P6 had the 3500 and the 2000.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't there a 2200 single carb, and the 2000TC (twin carb)?

OP
G

That's what istr.
But then why would you want one when there is a v8 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rovernut

Jedi Trainee
The P6 includes the 2000SC and TC
the 2200SC and TC
and the 3500........Over here in North America the V8 only came with Automatic trans and was known as the 3500S......but in Britain you could get a 4 speed manual trans
I have had the 2000TC and the 3500S with the auto box and the TC is much more enjoyable as a drivers car..........it is more like a sports car and the V8 with the auto box is much more like an american car.......softer ride etc ....a highway cruiser lets say

Bill Robertson
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

DieselBrad673

I might be wrong - but I thought you could buy the V8/4 speed in the US, Ive seen a couple examples that were US models.

motorbill66

Freshman Member
Hi guys,
I'm new to the BCF. I "cut my teeth" as a professional mechanic on Rovers and Land Rovers at a dealership in the late sixties and have rarely been without one since. I have a mountain of used spares and 3 3500s restoreable cars plus 3 2000TCs,one of which is a fine driver. Also, I have 2 SD1s, one of which I bought new in 1980. I also have absorbed a lot of the historical and technical knowledge needed to understand these special cars. Oh yeah, I have the tool board and all the special tools sold to dealers to service the P-6 cars. Perhaps I can help with your needs. I am in the Britcar business in Fort Collins, Colorado.

3500Ss converted to manual transmission in this country generally use the five speed common to the TR-8,7 (seven uses a different bellhousing), or one from an SD-1. This makes a very nice machine.

I have WAY too many projects and am considering disposing of some of this stuff. Cheers

Motorbill

rovernut

Jedi Trainee
Well i'm now the proud owner of a 1971 3500S also .......The car has been restored in the mid 90's and is in really good shape.......it has sat outside for the last 2years and thus the chrome and such is not what it once was but the interior is in perfect shape also...........I'll look to fixing up the little things to bring her back to great shape but am not looking to make it concours.........just a great daily driver

Bill Robertson

mrtvr

Jedi Trainee
Back in the mid-late '70s, I had a 1968 Rover 2000TC. When I got it it came with a spare engine. The car was a lot of fun to drive with the 4 speed box, 4 wheel disc brakes, fully independent suspension and rorty exhaust note. A great little sport sedan that served me well until it rusted out from under me. I then sold it to another Rover owner to use as a parts car. I've had a desire to get antoher one, albeit fully restored, ever since but have seen few out there. I did see one at a car show a couple of years ago just like the one I had but they had bought theirs new and had no interest in getting rid of it.
Perhaps some day, the right one will come along when I have a weak moment and space in the garage.