Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Happy 150th birthday to ...

The Pub is: Forum to generally shoot the breeze. It is NOT: a debate forum (NO Politics, religion, or controversial topics.) Keep it clean, fun and lite!

  1. #1
    Great Pumpkin NutmegCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    11,705
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    97
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    128
    Thanked in
    119 Posts

    Happy 150th birthday to ...

    Attachment 49320

    Congratulations to our northern neighbors. 150 years on July 1. A toast in English - et Sante' en francais!

    Attachment 49321
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

  2. #2
    Great Pumpkin JPSmit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    18,962
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    70
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

    Re: Happy 150th birthday to ...

    on behalf of my people I thank you. and wish you the best on your forthcoming celebration as well.

    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

  3. #3
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Turn left at Albuquerque
    Posts
    24,416
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    62
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    105
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

    Re: Happy 150th birthday to ...


  4. #4
    Yoda dklawson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Durham, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,253
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    52
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

    Re: Happy 150th birthday to ...

    On one of my favorite vacation trips my wife and I "accidentally" found ourselves in Ottawa on Canada Day. We planned our trip not knowing the significance of July 1st. We spent the day downtown taking part in the celebrations. It was a really great and unplanned event that I will always remember.

    Happy Canada Day!
    Doug L.
    '64 Morris Mini Cooper-S 1275
    '67 Triumph GT6 Mk1

  5. #5
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Turn left at Albuquerque
    Posts
    24,416
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    62
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    105
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

    Re: Happy 150th birthday to ...

    Quote Originally Posted by dklawson View Post
    On one of my favorite vacation trips my wife and I "accidentally" found ourselves in Ottawa on Canada Day. We planned our trip not knowing the significance of July 1st. We spent the day downtown taking part in the celebrations. It was a really great and unplanned event that I will always remember.

    Happy Canada Day!
    I was in Ottawa on Canada Day back in the 80's quite coincidentally. We had been doing some radar evaluations in Canada and I had to brief some Canadian big wigs in Ottawa. It's been a while but one thing I remember was a really cool light show they projected onto the face of the (I think) Parliament building. Do they still do that?

  6. #6
    Yoda Boink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    5,636
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    16
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

    Re: Happy 150th birthday to ...

    Doesn't look a day over 120.
    - Mark

    Former 1956 Austin Healey 100-4 (BN2)
    Former 1962 Mk1 Austin Mini (850)
    Former 1973 Austin Mini (really a 1980s Cooperized Mini)
    Present 1959 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite (with 1275, 5 speed, discs, etc)

  7. #7
    Obi Wan
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    stamford, CT
    Posts
    2,456
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    29
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

    Re: Happy 150th birthday to ...

    Canadian memories. Drinking Dow and Molson's on St. Catherine St. after a hockey game in the Forum where I saw Maurice Richard score 3 or 4 goals vs. the Blackhawks. Skiing at Mt. Tremblant when all the Vermont areas were rained out. Visiting friends in Toronto and seeing a Bugatti replica in the small shop where they were made. Staying in Quebec City after driving there in my 1940 Ford sedan after high school graduation in 1951. Dating French girls who spoke no English in Trois Riviere and dancing with them in a boxing club with the local boys cutting in. Dining on Smoked Meat at Ben's and Schwartz's and comparing the two. Comparing Montreal bagels to New York. Breakfast at Beauties.

  8. #8
    Luke Skywalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    1,844
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Re: Happy 150th birthday to ...

    Vast beautiful landscapes and a population equal to California. Happy 150th!

    Jerry

  9. #9
    Yoda Boink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    5,636
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    16
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

    Re: Happy 150th birthday to ...

    Always loved this tune:
    - Mark

    Former 1956 Austin Healey 100-4 (BN2)
    Former 1962 Mk1 Austin Mini (850)
    Former 1973 Austin Mini (really a 1980s Cooperized Mini)
    Present 1959 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite (with 1275, 5 speed, discs, etc)

  10. #10
    Jedi Knight apbos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca
    Posts
    1,386
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Re: Happy 150th birthday to ...

    My two favorite Canadians, visiting a Canadian Icon the "Bluenose" Happy 150 Canada!



    IMG_0403.jpg
    Paul
    1949 TR 2000 roadster
    1960 MG MGA
    1-1959 AN5L/9477 AH Bugeye Sprite
    1- 1958 Triumph TR3 TS 28115

  11. #11
    Great Pumpkin JPSmit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    18,962
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    70
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

    Re: Happy 150th birthday to ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post
    I was in Ottawa on Canada Day back in the 80's quite coincidentally. We had been doing some radar evaluations in Canada and I had to brief some Canadian big wigs in Ottawa. It's been a while but one thing I remember was a really cool light show they projected onto the face of the (I think) Parliament building. Do they still do that?
    I think so

    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

  12. #12
    Great Pumpkin JPSmit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    18,962
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    70
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

    Re: Happy 150th birthday to ...

    Quote Originally Posted by pdplot View Post
    Canadian memories. Drinking Dow and Molson's on St. Catherine St. after a hockey game in the Forum where I saw Maurice Richard score 3 or 4 goals vs. the Blackhawks. Skiing at Mt. Tremblant when all the Vermont areas were rained out. Visiting friends in Toronto and seeing a Bugatti replica in the small shop where they were made. Staying in Quebec City after driving there in my 1940 Ford sedan after high school graduation in 1951. Dating French girls who spoke no English in Trois Riviere and dancing with them in a boxing club with the local boys cutting in. Dining on Smoked Meat at Ben's and Schwartz's and comparing the two. Comparing Montreal bagels to New York. Breakfast at Beauties.
    Wow, you might be more Canadian than I am!!!
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

  13. #13
    Great Pumpkin JPSmit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    18,962
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    70
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

    Re: Happy 150th birthday to ...

    Quote Originally Posted by dklawson View Post
    On one of my favorite vacation trips my wife and I "accidentally" found ourselves in Ottawa on Canada Day. We planned our trip not knowing the significance of July 1st. We spent the day downtown taking part in the celebrations. It was a really great and unplanned event that I will always remember.

    Happy Canada Day!
    We had this happen last year in Iceland - it was absolutely delightful! Of course being the summer solstice and 24 hours of sunlight not fireworks.
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

  14. #14
    Great Pumpkin JPSmit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    18,962
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    70
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

    Re: Happy 150th birthday to ...

    Well, last night the weather finally cleared (was a rainy day!) and so, time for fireworks. Met up with Mark and Mrs Mark and family (Abarth69) to watch the fireworks. We live a couple of blocks from Lake Ontario - and about 20 minutes walk away is a spit sticking into the lake. This allows us to see all of downtown Toronto at once - which means we got to see four sets of fireworks - the first from the CN Tower - very very cool! and the next three at the same time in different parts of the city - Oh and we got to see three more sets of fireworks to the west of us (Mississauga) as we walked there. All in all a lovely end to a lovely day!

    and now on to the 4th!
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

  15. #15
    Great Pumpkin NutmegCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    11,705
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    97
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    128
    Thanked in
    119 Posts

    Re: Happy 150th birthday to ...

    O, Canada!



    My new '53 MG came from Ontario - so we were celebrating here in my li'l corner of Connecticut.
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

  16. #16
    Jedi Knight GTP1960's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Chapin, SC
    Posts
    1,360
    Blog Entries
    65
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

    Re: Happy 150th birthday to ...

    Quote Originally Posted by NutmegCT View Post
    O, Canada!



    My new '53 MG came from Ontario - so we were celebrating here in my li'l corner of Connecticut.
    so you got your MG! (TF?)
    have you already posted pics & history?
    did I miss something?
    Guy
    1960 TR3A TS63684L

  17. #17
    Great Pumpkin NutmegCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    11,705
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    97
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    128
    Thanked in
    119 Posts

    Re: Happy 150th birthday to ...

    Quote Originally Posted by GTP1960 View Post
    so you got your MG! (TF?)
    have you already posted pics & history?
    did I miss something?
    yep -

    https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/...-and-gentlemen
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •