• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

To Glue or not to Glue... alas, poor Booby

JimLaney

When I joined up I said I was a beginner, and here's some proof: Which fasteners should have loctite on them and which should have anti-seize? Do I want anti-seize on my head bolts or loctite or nothing?

In general I understand that if it might shake loose, I might want to use some color of loctite...but if I want to be able to get it out again and it gets hot or rusty, use anti-seize. Any better guidance than that?

Country flag
Head bolts should be lubed with oil and torqued to spec. It is the stretching of the bolt that creates the clamping force and keeps the nut from backing off.

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
jim
Are you interested in just the head bolts, then see above, Or are you looking for general information about what bolts/nuts should be locktited, nylocked, torqued or never seized?
there are a lot of nuts and bolts on your LBC and all are treated differently. Suggest you ask specifically regarding each issue.
If you are not interested in concours use nylocks wherever the temperature will allow.
Anything that is going to get torqued needs to be lubed as torque is always measured as the fastner is being stretched and moving.
Neverseize is usually to protect dissimilar metals where galling could happen and freeze the fastener. IE steel sparkplugs in Aluminum heads.
As I said specific questions are better than generalalities

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
And use Loctite blue 242 on everything else. Check your manual etc., but (for example) torques vary depending on whether or not the threads are dry or lubed. I tend to use anti-seize on anything I want to occasionally undo (e.g. spark plugs), and loctite on everything else. I'm sure others will chime in with more specific, accurate, wisdom. Doug

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've also found that simply replacing spring lock washer with new ones makes sure things stay tight .
old lock washers have there corners at the split rounded off no longer bitting in and spring action weak.

OP
JimLaney

JimLaney

Thanks all for your help. If I ask about each fastener, I'll spend life at the keyboard so generalizations are good direction pointers for me. Thank you again for the help!