Thread: Bugeye fuel tank sending unit - repair or replace

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Bugeye fuel tank sending unit - repair or replace

My 1960 Bugeye has an original type (Smith Motor Accessories Limited) fuel tank sending unit. The metal float has some small areas worn through. The inside of the unit shows one broken copper wire and a multimeter indicates no current flow. Is it possible to repair or re-build for a reasonable price? What are some good options and good sources for replacing the sending unit? Thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Re: Bugeye fuel tank sending unit - repair or replace

I know you want one with a metal float. One with a plastic float will turn into a sink in a few years. BE Guy is offering sender with metal float. NFI although I bought one from him.
    Jim Gruber - Tampa/Riverview FL
    Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
    Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new -

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Were it just the metal float you could solder over the holes in your float OR replace it with a Ford part (# COAZ-9202-B). However, since you are also dealing with the broken internal winding, a complete replacement is a better choice. Of course... being a British car owner you need to keep the old failed unit "just in case".

Old and new gauge system parts are not interchangeable. BMC cars until the early/middle 1960s used magnetic gauges where most after 1965 used the later bimetallic system with the voltage stabilizer. If you do not find an early sending unit there may be a additional option. In the U.K. there is a firm called Spiyda Design. They make electronics for old British cars and they offer a product called the Gauge Wizard. It allows matching of almost any sending unit to any gauge... including ones that work in opposite directions. A solution like the gauge wizard should get you up and running regardless of what parts are available.

Gauge Wizard Link
    Doug L.
    '64 Morris Mini Cooper-S 1275
    '67 Triumph GT6 Mk1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, keep the old unit....there is a least one shop in the US which will repair old sending units. I have gone through way too many poor quality reproduction sending units.....it was a constant headache!
    Scott in CA
    1973 TR6

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The new versions are not any good, at least that I have found. The resistance in the sender is not accurate enough for the gauge. I have made a couple new versions work but I had to remove some windings off of the slide resistor to get it correct. If someone can fix your old one, that is the way to go. I have been away from it for a few years but the repro ones are not wound copper but some other metal and it cannot be soldered to.

Kim

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks a lot to all of you who followed up on my Bugeye sending unit question! As usual, the answers are thorough and helpful; and, independent points of view! Excellent.