• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR Photobucket

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Well, as many of you are aware, 3 days ago photobucket changed policies and blocked all my "3rd party hostage", which I had never heard of until then. Basically, I hit a previously unknown limit on linking pictures to forums. Not memory, mind you, but "hostage". No warning, no heads up. They simply stopped linking 7 years of my pictures, to at least 10 forums I have visited over that time.

For 3 days I have attempted contact with Photobucket, with no response. I finally figured, "I'll fork out $100 to upgrade for a year and get the linking back". They took the money...but "linking" is apparently different from "hostage". My pictures are still Locked. I told them to refund the year subscription, and then they finally responded. My "$100 can be prorated (for 3 hours apparently) towards my $400 subscription to get 3rd party hostage back." No refund. I can pay more.

I Am pretty sure this is the definition of extortion? Anyway...just thought all should be aware that this is possible.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
That's a bunch of BS, and a **** shame. The information you provided to others with pictures and script was most valuable. The time you spent doing this probably added two years to the restoration time. Mabey Basil can help you with this and set up a Go Fund Me Page to get it all back online.

2long

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
After reading the link above, it seems to say that the free accounts (like mine) cannot do any third party hosting at all. Not some arbitrary limit, but none. But my posts have not been deleted. Are they going after the worst "offenders" first? And what does it mean when Photobucket allows you to "share" a photo? If you copy and send it to someone as an attachment to an email account hosted by Google, is that a third party hosting? If I want to move all my photo bucket photos somewhere else, does anyone know the easiest way to do that?

Dan

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
That is great news.

It is like getting a Hard drive back to life with all your photos that you had not backed up.

I realize that photobucket was not your only copy. Just the frustration of all the threads with missing photos.

David

2long

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Sorry to be pesky about my photo bucket question, but I uploaded many photos to photo bucket over the years that I now have nowhere else. Is there a good way to put them back in my library as photos (turn them back into my photos) rather than only have a link to their cloud?

Dan

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Is there a good way to put them back in my library as photos (turn them back into my photos) rather than only have a link to their cloud?
Dan, There is a way. From your desktop (not the app), go into your Photobucket account. Choose one of your libraries. When it comes up, look to your right and you'll see under the heading "Actions" a choice to "download album". Click "download album" and it'll ask you to click a box to show you're not a robot...then hit download and it's put into a zip file (this takes some time). Save the zip file to your downloads then copy to your photos. Finally by right clicking the zip file you can choose "extract all" which will spread them all out. I started doing it when John posted this thread. I'm not that computer savvy so there might be an easier/faster way...but what I described works.

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Well, as many of you are aware, 3 days ago photobucket changed policies and blocked all my "3rd party hostage", which I had never heard of until then. Basically, I hit a previously unknown limit on linking pictures to forums. Not memory, mind you, but "hostage". No warning, no heads up. They simply stopped linking 7 years of my pictures, to at least 10 forums I have visited over that time.

For 3 days I have attempted contact with Photobucket, with no response. I finally figured, "I'll fork out $100 to upgrade for a year and get the linking back". They took the money...but "linking" is apparently different from "hostage". My pictures are still Locked. I told them to refund the year subscription, and then they finally responded. My "$100 can be prorated (for 3 hours apparently) towards my $400 subscription to get 3rd party hostage back." No refund. I can pay more.

I Am pretty sure this is the definition of extortion? Anyway...just thought all should be aware that this is possible.

Thought I should point out that my $100 extortion payment runs out in about 3 weeks. I don't know if PB will take the photos in my posts away again...but if anyone thinks they'll want them, you may want to copy them now just in case. I'll be happy to send my photos to anyone that needs them, but they won't have the thread "how to's" with them?!?

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
John,

I believe photobucket realized the error of their ways...check out the website. They now do monthly plans that allow 3rd party hosting that are significantly cheaper than the outright extortion that they were trying to pull off before.

Cheers
Tush

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
image.jpg

Here's the email I got from them...

Cheers
Tush

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Still lost confidence in them and now used Google photos instead, but of course that does nothing to repair all the ruined threads that lost their photos. Cheers, Mike

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Trust me...I agree, it will be hard to go back to using photobucket. One of the problems that I have is that when photobucket was free, I created multiple accounts with multiple email addresses. This worked for me as I had specific accounts for each project that I was working on. Now, the problem is that is order to use the photos I have stored in the multiple accounts, I need to pay the subscription price for each account...

Cheers
Tush