• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Our new fridge

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Just over a month ago we decided it was time to retire the fridge. Nothing wrong with the fridge or freezer but it dribbled down the door from the ice dispenser. Several attempted fixes and it still dribbled.

Our kitchen was built for a 30" fridge so we started out looking only to find that they do not make many 30" fridges anymore. After some thought and measurements I decided that I could move cabinets and get in the larger size fridge.

Went to several Big Box stores with our requirements in hand. Wanted the French door style with freezer at the bottom. Ice and water through the door. We wanted to avoid the problem we had on the old one so careful attention was paid to the tray under the ice dispenser. Finally settled on a brand and model. It was on sale which made it better.

Made the deal, paid for it and arranged for it to be delivered.

Two weeks later it arrives. They unwrap it outside as they will have to remove the doors to get it in the house and we find it has a big dent in the side. So we refuse delivery. A new one is organized and will be delivered in about 3 weeks.

A week later we get a call saying the fridge will be delivered in the morning. Great I think and start to get ready for it. Remove all the magnets, notes etc from the sides and door of the old fridge. Next morning we get a call there is a problem and it won't be delivered and when I ask why the delivery company say to call the manufacturers. When I call them they say that the delivery date had not been changed and the June 24 date was the day.

So today June 24 we expect a call to say it was on the way. We call to see what time to expect it only to be told it is scheduled for delivery on June 7. On pointing out that June 7 has passed we get the runaround. Manufacturer had not updated delivery etc.

After many calls to both the manufacturer and the delivery company it seems the fridge was at the warehouse all along but the delivery company did not get it on the computer.

So I have spent all day listening to lies and bad music on hold. We may get our new fridge on June 28 if we are lucky.

The credit card bill arrived yesterday with the charge on it.

Not a happy camper.

David

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I would advise you to chill but clearly that won't work. :grin: seriously, it boggles my mind how often in this economy companies seem to have all the business they need as they clearly aren't looking for anything new. :rolleyes:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm not looking forward to the possibility of buying new appliances
after our move.This thread reinforces that.
Also,I had to shake my head when we noticed that you can get fridges
with the internet wired in.........

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Just over a month ago we decided it was time to retire the fridge. Nothing wrong with the fridge or freezer but it dribbled down the door from the ice dispenser. Several attempted fixes and it still dribbled.

Our kitchen was built for a 30" fridge so we started out looking only to find that they do not make many 30" fridges anymore. After some thought and measurements I decided that I could move cabinets and get in the larger size fridge.

Went to several Big Box stores with our requirements in hand. Wanted the French door style with freezer at the bottom. Ice and water through the door. We wanted to avoid the problem we had on the old one so careful attention was paid to the tray under the ice dispenser. Finally settled on a brand and model. It was on sale which made it better.

Made the deal, paid for it and arranged for it to be delivered.

Two weeks later it arrives. They unwrap it outside as they will have to remove the doors to get it in the house and we find it has a big dent in the side. So we refuse delivery. A new one is organized and will be delivered in about 3 weeks.

A week later we get a call saying the fridge will be delivered in the morning. Great I think and start to get ready for it. Remove all the magnets, notes etc from the sides and door of the old fridge. Next morning we get a call there is a problem and it won't be delivered and when I ask why the delivery company say to call the manufacturers. When I call them they say that the delivery date had not been changed and the June 24 date was the day.

So today June 24 we expect a call to say it was on the way. We call to see what time to expect it only to be told it is scheduled for delivery on June 7. On pointing out that June 7 has passed we get the runaround. Manufacturer had not updated delivery etc.

After many calls to both the manufacturer and the delivery company it seems the fridge was at the warehouse all along but the delivery company did not get it on the computer.

So I have spent all day listening to lies and bad music on hold. We may get our new fridge on June 28 if we are lucky.

The credit card bill arrived yesterday with the charge on it.

Not a happy camper.

David

Story of my life.

Wait'll I post the details of me buying a car in Canada and having it shipped to the USA.

oy

TM

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Story of my life.

Wait'll I post the details of me buying a car in Canada and having it shipped to the USA.

oy

TM

Sounds like a movie trailer for a Box Office hit!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Elliot - if I were to write a book about it, the publisher would call it Fiction. No one would believe it.

Onward through the fog!
Tom M.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Interesting about your dented fridge on arrival. We just had the same thing happen with a new freezer. Found out there's a lot of complaints about appliances arriving dented. Can't imagine it's a good business model to ship stuff out and have it returned, but I'm sure the beancounters have calculated it's cheaper than doing better packaging for shipping and there's always a chance someone will take it if the dent's not visible.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Fire the beancounters!

"When Henry Ford's son Edsel commissioned a new office building to house the company's accountants and sales staff, Henry cancelled the building, fired the accountants (he hated accountants), abolished the accounting department, and had its offices stripped bare. Then he told Edsel to put the salespeople where the accountants had been. Without any accountants to help with bookkeeping, some departments were reduced to weighing stacks of invoices as a means of accounting their costs."

https://www.neatorama.com/2013/06/03/Saving-Ford-from-Ford/

Also in Lacey's excellent book "Ford: the Men and the Machine".

TM

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
It is a Samsung. Not sure who is at fault in this mess but I suspect that the delivery company is to blame. On my last phone marathon with Samsung they were calling the delivery company again and they finally found it had been delivered to their warehouse but the home delivery had not been set up.

One of the Samsung customer support people said "It is an Awesome unit" To which I replied "I know that is why I chose it but I have yet to receive mine"

When the first one arrived damaged the drivers says "That happens a lot"? Makes you wonder who has to eat the loss on a damaged unit. Probable built in to the price.

David

number6

Jedi Trainee
I have sold appliances for 25 years and have seen the other side of the issues. Fridges are no longer shipped with full cardboard boxes, now shrink wrap, surprising more are not trashed on delivery. I work at a small store and have more control, I can talk to drivers and tell them about del problems they can expect. Big box stores have separate dept for del and the salesmen can't give them a heads up.
Small stores belong to buying groups and are competitive with the big box stores. I was even able to del loaners to customers who's situations were extreme. Try to get a big box to do that. People are unreasonable, rude and have expectations that can't be met. They can't read a tape measure. Yes it will fit, guys get there and spend 45 mins to 2 hours stripping the old unit and stripping the new to do the del. 35 min del takes 2 hours and has chain effect on all deliveries after that. People seem to believe that small stores aren't competitive price wise, got to go to big box to get a deal, not true. Pus you can call me at the store and you won't get put on hold, yada, yada. Some cust won't take anything that's unboxed, I won't sell to them. We unbox everything to check for damage prior to del, saves time and effort. As to size Fisher and Paykel make a 30" bottom freezer with dispenser, small stores have access to brands with more sizing options than the big box stores. My wife works for a Big box and you should hear the stories.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I wish the small store that all our other appliances came from was still in business. Owner retired and closed the store. Said he was having more and more issues with manufacturers. Great place to deal with, knew his stuff.

The Big Box store Home Depot hands off the delivery to the manufacturer. They may have a few units in the store but most seem to come from a warehouse somewhere.

David

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
As to size Fisher and Paykel make a 30" bottom freezer with dispenser, small stores have access to brands with more sizing options than the big box stores. My wife works for a Big box and you should hear the stories.

Smaller size; that's what I need. Our 36" fridge is to big to open the freezer door.
#6, can you recommend a good quality 30-33" fridge?
im not familiar with Fisher & Paykel. Looking for a bottom freezer, French door w/ ice& water dispenser. ( if possible)

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

number6

Jedi Trainee
Yup, comes from aussi land. When I started selling there were 12-15 different appliance manufacturers , now its the big three. Electolux, who owns Frigidaire, gibson, etc GE with hotpoint and others and finally Whirlpool who does the remainder like K aid and Sears with a smattering of companies like LG and Samsung. If I were going to replace my fridge I would go with the F&P, just because of the adaptive AI as far a cycling the compressor when the doors are more likely to be opened. But In the time I had been doing it Whirlpool gave me the fewest service problems. Solid performer, middle of rd in price I don't sell any more and my current fridge is a K aid.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I worked for Sears years ago and it was typically the delete very guys who dented the machines - I still recall them bringing back a stove that had completely collapsed the drawer due to four sharp bumps in succession.

We currently have a Kitchen Aid fridge and the lack of quality makes me crazy. The mother boards are deffective and they refuse to address the issue. There is a cheap workaround but it is maddening to see no product support after a really short time. (But I digress)

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Had to replace out 13 year old GE fridge about a year ago because parts were no longer available! The amazing thing to me was the salesmen (we did a lot of shopping). Most were right up front in explaining that the new boxes are only expected to last 7 or 8 years so we were lucky that the old one lasted so long. Other side of that is the garage fridge, another GE we bought new in 1974. I'm sure it isn't very efficient but it still works perfectly today.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
We currently have a Kitchen Aid fridge and the lack of quality makes me crazy. The mother boards are deffective and they refuse to address the issue

We've got a kitchen aid oven (about 11yrs) with a defective motherboard. Looked into fixing it but the replacement part & service was almost as much as a new oven.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Every time I read these reports, I wonder ... does a refrigerator or oven really need a motherboard!

Back in the day, the disk drives on the Osborne I computers would get so hot, users could swear they could fry an egg on the top of the case.

Discouraging when today's appliance hardware is probably still working fine, but the electronics prevent its use.

grumble grumble

View attachment 49247