• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Matching Numbers?

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Anybody got an opinion concerning the status of a collectible car with original matching engine and transmission numbers vs one with period correct engine and transmission that were not original.
Tom

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Anybody got an opinion concerning the status of a collectible car with original matching engine and transmission numbers vs one with period correct engine and transmission that were not original.
Tom

I suspect it very much depends on the car - obviously with Little British cars it pretty much makes no difference at all - matching numbers seem to send certain muscle cars into the stratosphere but, with restomods and the like all the rage, like I said, it depends.

dklawson

Yoda
As above, it depends.

If you are looking for originality in a car, particularly if the car is an investment, then matching numbers are important. If on the other hand you want to own a period car and use it as a daily driver or fun car, matching numbers are less important.

Regardless of the intended use, a matching numbers car will sell for more than one with only period correct parts. As for how this applies to British cars... it still applies. All you need to do is look at the number of people who obtain and then reference the Heritage Certificate for their cars.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
since you can buy new engine plate numbers and stamps for many of the cars. I am suspicious of matching numbers on cars. But it sounds good to tell people that it is the original engine. I have 4 British cars and only one may have the original engine.

OP
TomMull

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
OK, Here is the car that prompted the question:
https://bringatrailer.com/2017/06/10/bring-a-283-4-speed-1954-chevrolet-corvette-project/
Not that I'm seriously interested but I've always had a soft spot for very early 6 cylinder Corvette's, most now priced out of my league. I'm sure this one would never be a concourse winner nor even a participant but my thought, based on about nothing, is that in a 2 or so condition, with the non matching blue streak six included, this car would bring very little less than a matching numbers version. Wrong?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
A friend had a 54 Vette back in the late 60s and it had cobweb cracks all over the body. He told me he could have it painted, but because of the poor fiberglass the cracks would return. I understand that because there is no way to properly overcome this, you can buy a repo body made with modern fiber glass in factory molds and understand the Corvette club will approve it as an original body. Worth looking into. PJ