• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Transfer old compute files to new computer

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
How do I all transfer all the files from my old computer to my new one? Do I use a usb port to port cable from the old to new? The new computer has a larger hard drive than the old one, so should be plenty of room. PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'd say get a high capacity thumb drive, copy what you want transferred onto it, then into the new machine. And you then have a reasonable backup of the files to stow in a drawer.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Could get an external USB Hard drive if you have a lot to transfer. Also a good place to keep a second copy of photos and other files.

David

dklawson

Yoda
I was reading up on this a month or so back when I was starting to shop for a new laptop. I have yet to buy that new laptop so I have no first hand experience with what I am about to suggest.

Google for information and the process of using a crossover network cable between the two machines. As I understand it you use the crossover cable and configure a local network between the two machines. Using this network connection is supposed to be significantly faster than other file transfer methods. Again... I have yet to try it myself but this is what I was considering.

D

Deleted member 8987

Some folks have issues transferring from old systems to new ones like 10.
Not sure if that got sorted out.
I have a new (to me) Sony VAIO laptop coming, ships Monday, I'll transfer what I need via USB as it's quicker, but my files are all on XP and going to....XP!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A crossover cable IS significantly faster, it equates to a peer-to-peer LAN for speed but again; a USB thumb drive means you get a backup for the time spent. Only issue would be the size of the data to be transferred.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Note that we're talking about an Ethernet crossover, not USB.
Using a crossover cable also means you need to convince the machines to network together, share folders and so on. Not always a trivial task (depending on your skill level etc)

Using a thumb drive or external hard drive may be slower in terms of Mb/sec; but IMO will usually be faster overall because its just plug n play at both ends. Saving a couple of hours in transfer time is no bargain if it takes 4 hours to set it up.

Last edited:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
TR3driver said:
Saving a couple of hours in transfer time is no bargain if it takes 4 hours to set it up.

:iagree: Precisely. Setting up the two machines to play nice with one another is simple if you're familiar with LAN configurations but can be a steep curve for a neophyte. And unless you can easily/quickly find a pre-made crossover CAT-5/6 cable, crimping one up and testing it becomes a chore.

I usually carry one in my bag with a lappy in case I've got to beat client machines into submission.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks guys, as time is not the element, I think I'll use an external drive, copy all the files to it and then copy them to the new computer, simple and they will be saved for future use if needed. PJ

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Just a thought - do you have the same applications and programs on the old as on the new?

The files you're copying over may not always be compatible with the software installed on the new computer.

TM

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Do you really need to transfer the files?
i just had my old hard drive taken out of the old machine and installed it in an open bay in the new one.
you can also get an external housing for the old drive and just plug & play via USB.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Do you really need to transfer the files?
i just had my old hard drive taken out of the old machine and installed it in an open bay in the new one.
you can also get an external housing for the old drive and just plug & play via USB.

My old HD is 500 gig, my new machine has a 1 Terra bite HD. I could also make a new folder and copy them to the new HD, but I like the idea of keeping them on an external, just in case. If this new one goes South and I've had that happen before, I still have my files. Putting a lot of thought into this. PJ

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
If your new machine has an open bay, you can just add the 500g old drive (in addition to your new 1T drive.)
then it would be just another drive to work from on your new computer. (Call it "drive F" or something)

when you backup your new new machine to an external HD, the old 500g HD could easily be included in the backup.

that's what I did. Just integrated my old drive with the new system & backed up by he whole thing, like usual.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Guy - when you added that drive, did you have to set some toggles or DIP switches, etc. on the drive? Plug it into a specific ribbon cable, set to "secondary hard drive", or similar?

Did it automatically show up as a new drive when you rebooted? Or did it take some tweaking?

Tom M.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
Well, that's above my head, I had the guy who does my computer stuff do it.
but there must not have been much to it, because it took him about 10 minutes to remove it from the old & install it in the new.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Usually any recent O/S (any beyond "98") the system should just "see" it and assign a drive letter. Any applications on the old drive will need to be reinstalled on the scratch (usually "C:") drive to open any proprietary files.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Well, that's above my head, I had the guy who does my computer stuff do it.
but there must not have been much to it, because it took him about 10 minutes to remove it from the old & install it in the new.

I think that's what usually happens. Things are so complicated these days, most of us can't do the work ourselves. So we go to the $65/hr guy.

Sounds like today's cars, eh?

Anyway, glad you got it sorted out.

T.

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
When I went to a new iMac, I had most of my documents on external drives already, so I just had to restore my internal drive files from the Apple Time Machine files from the old computer to the new one, and emails, contacts, preferences, and browser bookmarks all worked on the new machine just like the old one. But my external photo drive is 3TB, so I also have my internal drive and the two external drives backed up on CrashPlan, which has also helped me save files from time to time. And CrashPlan did not need to back up all the files on the new computer as they were already backed up from the old one. "Suspenders and a belt"

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Code42 are a great bunch.