• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Clutch issue maybe master cylinder

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Started noticing last week after 400 miles and after rebuild that the clutch was getting a mushy feel. (rebuild means the car, including clutch plate replaced, through out bearing and a thorough bleeding of hydraulics). Turns out there is now a 1/2 inch of play in the master cylinder push rod. Last week it might have been 3/8" so it could be getting worse. Fluid level is at the top. I can push the rod forward a 1/2" before it hits the piston. What could be going on?

Another problem has arrived with the water pump after a 50 mile ride tonight. I'll post a separate message.

HighAltitudeTR3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I had to bleed my clutch a few times to get the bubbles out, not sure why, its such a short run.

Have you tried bleeding it again?

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
It sounds like the piston may not be returning all the way. That would be the likely explanation for an increase in the pedal linkage play at the MC.

I once rebuilt an MC, and had that issue. I had to disassemble it again and polish the cylinder bore so the piston would return fully. Of course a weak return spring (also inside the cylinder) could also prevent the piston from returning fully too.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Who ever said the return spring is broke won! No can I go to a hard where store and get a spring to work out of one of their assortments?

Attachments

• 20170610_202809.jpg
    20170610_202809.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 105

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Or the auto parts store for a rebuild kit. You would need to determine if you have a .75 ( likely) or .70. But with either kit you should get the spring. The remainder of the kit would be for good measure, if you use it.
Charley

titanic

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I don't think the springs are included in rebuild kits. I have some old ones, yours for the postage, or I can measure one and give you the dimensions.
Berry

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Make sure you also have the outside return spring. This can cause the same problem over sometime.

Don

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I've seen MC rebuild kits that included springs, but usually they don't. In the worst case, you can get a new MC from Victoria British for $32. If it were me, though, I'd try to find a new spring at the hardware store. Just the way I am--hate to throw good hardware away.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I was watching the IRL race Saturday night and during the big crash I went into the garage and started rummaging through a bunch of old parts I've got around. Found a TR7 clutch master cylinder and by eye ball site they looked close. Took it apart and low and behold it had a perfectly good spring and it was the exact size. Reassembled after the race and went on a 80 mile trip Sunday and worked perfect. I did stop at the hardware store and they did have a spring that was the correct diameter and length. put it in the glove box. You never know.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
It sounds like the piston may not be returning all the way. That would be the likely explanation for an increase in the pedal linkage play at the MC.

I once rebuilt an MC, and had that issue. I had to disassemble it again and polish the cylinder bore so the piston would return fully. Of course a weak return spring (also inside the cylinder) could also prevent the piston from returning fully too.
Have the same issue with a newly rebuilt cylinder, worked fine on the bench but started to hang as soon as it got fully rinsed with DOT 5. Curious as to how you polished it.
Tom