• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sprite MK1 Door liner rubber mat installation.. Need tips and recommendations.

TEM666666

I have some ribbed rubber mat I want to glue into the inside of the the doors on my Bugeye sprite. I trimmed it myself to shape (sort of) but I have a feeling they are over-sized; like I have to try hard to fold, bent, push, pull, etc to get it to fit inside the door and between the door latch and hinge. It actually looks good after I fight it to fit but I have no way of getting glue in between. Does anyone have a template with measurements or even say how much smaller than the perimeter of the door should it be. Also, how does one put contact cement on both sides (mat and door) and be able to get it in and place it and push together without it stuck in the wrong position? Thanks!

gfholl

Country flag
I used fine ribbed rubber mat material in my doors (an floors) as well. I cut mine about 14" tall, and about 1 3/4 wider than the width of the openings so the edges are not visible. Put double sided carpet tape in the doors, then pressed the material into place. I know other have used various glues, but wanted to make them removable for a future repaint. Holding up well after a year.

OP
TEM666666

TEM666666

Thanks Gary! I guess I will trim mine down some more. I must have 2" or more per side bigger than the opening. Maybe too late for me to go with carpet tape since it won't stick to my failure attempt at the glue.

P

Paul McGuffin

I bought my material at Tru-Value Hardware, looks just like the original stuff. I used a slow drying rubber glue.

OP
TEM666666

TEM666666

Bugeye guy will be plan C or D or even E since I already have material but just needs to be trimmed and glued. What appeared so simple just ended up more difficult than expected. Now I need to find away to wipe off contact cement (lacquer thinner is not cutting it!)

leecreek

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
3M Adhesive remover.

OP
TEM666666

TEM666666

Thanks guys! I will give it a go again on the weekend. I have acetone and Goo-gone. Didn't actually cross my mind to try an actual adhesive remover (doh!).. I kept thinking solvents. If that doesn't do it then off to the store for the 3M or whatever more potent stuff they may have.

P

Paul McGuffin

You need a slow drying glue that will allowed you to position the material. Remove the side pockets. That will give you more room to work.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Once you have the inside door pockets cleaned of any old adhesive or other contaminants and the rubber is cleaned of any old mold release agent rough it up with 60-80 grit paper. Insert the rubber mat folded back on itself and brush a good contact cement like Dap/Weldwood hi temp vinyl top/landau on the door and on the back of the rubber mat. Once dry start rolling the mat onto the glued surface, then repeat for the other half. I left my mat out in the sun to make it soft and pliable, but it still took some effort.
Rut

OP
TEM666666

TEM666666

I tested chemicals to see what would work. So far the goo-gone worked to soften the old glue. Then wiping with rag soaked with lacquer thinner cleaned off the oily layer the goo-gone leaves behind. On hand I have a can of Lepage heavy duty contact cement. No good for this?

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I tested chemicals to see what would work. So far the goo-gone worked to soften the old glue. Then wiping with rag soaked with lacquer thinner cleaned off the oily layer the goo-gone leaves behind. On hand I have a can of Lepage heavy duty contact cement. No good for this?
I've tried several contact cements and the one that stays put for me is the Dap/Weldwood I mentioned. The spray contact cements I used on the Bugeye dash let go within a month or so before I even installed it. I bought mine at an auto upholstery supply shop, but you can find it on the internet. It is solvent based and will pull rattle can paint off the dash...ask me how I know.
Rut

OP
TEM666666

TEM666666

It's surprisingly difficult to buy a lot of these things here in Canada! Yes, something as simple as decent contact cement! Shipping from the States is expensive, if they even ship at all for stuff like chemical/flammables. I will have to do some serious digging!

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Sounds like a trip to Buffalo is in order.Yes Mr. Customs Officer, I'm guilty of smuggling glue into CN.

OP
TEM666666

TEM666666

Sounds like a trip to Buffalo is in order.Yes Mr. Customs Officer, I'm guilty of smuggling glue into CN.

I do go down once in a while to pick up packages but it takes a lot to make it a worthwhile trip. Last trip down I got new headlight rings, side and rear-view mirrors for the bugeye among other things. Now having said that; if the old girl cries foul and comes along, you make a stop at the outlet mall and it's time and $$$!

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
FYI
Make sure before you attempt to apply any cement glue tape whatever that you degrease the material and inside of the door.
the mold release on the back of the material will allow the rubber to simply fall off in a few days and creating a mess.

OP
TEM666666

TEM666666

FYI
Make sure before you attempt to apply any cement glue tape whatever that you degrease the material and inside of the door.
the mold release on the back of the material will allow the rubber to simply fall off in a few days and creating a mess.

Will do!.. and as Rut suggest, I'm gonna scuff the mat with coarse sand paper too!

OP
TEM666666

TEM666666

Finally got it done this past week. Here it is! Looks decent but will have to see if it holds up over time. I ended up using Lepage heavy duty contact cement. Can't find anything better locally. I folded up the mat in half up/down. Applied contact cement on the top half of the mat and top half of the door. I put 2 pieces (1 wasn't wide enough) of wax-paper folded in half with the fold line on the top edge. After getting the mat in place, I pulled the wax-paper down and out. With the top half secured, lift the mat up to reveal the bottom halves, put contact cement on the mat and door, wait for it to dry then push it down..

20170813_141643_resized.jpg20170813_142147_resized.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
looks great!