Thread: Fair price for this car?

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fair price for this car?

Greetings -

I'm new to the group, so I don't know if it is proper protocol to show listings. If it isn't, just let me know and apologies in advance.

I'm in the market for a TR6. I'm looking for a driver, but not a project. It doesn't need to be pristine, but I'd like good paint, mechanical s and no rust. This looks to be a nice vehicle - https://www.jpfrazier.com/detail-197...-16313549.html - my thoughts based on what I have seen for sale is that 17 or 18 is probably the price for this car. Any thoughts?

Thanks - Brent

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Re: Fair price for this car?

Well, it is certainly a nice example from what I've seen. As a new englander I see TR6 prices all over the map, running from 4-5 to as high as 25 or so, but the proof is always condition. I have seen
    what look to be pristine examples which upon closer inspection don't pass muster. If you can, get an independent person to inspect before you commit. I feel that the price is probably not out of line
    given a few things, is it all original, numbers matching, with a complete service history? I know good examples are very tough to find, but the british car hobby is getting out of hand price wise. I see spitfires being offered in the range of 12-15 thousand, and I will be the last one to pay that type of money. If you are not into the restoration thing, maybe it's the car for you, get in and drive. I feel you can spend a lot less and get something nearly as nice if you are willing to do some of the work the rest of us undertake. In my case my stable includes oddball cars for the most part that are not so volatile price wise, I doubt someone will pay me 10,000 for my Rover 2000 TC, which I have had since new and has never been restored. You will get a lot of other opinions here and there will be some that don't agree with mine, but here it is for what it's worth.
    1961 Sunbeam Harrington
    1969 MGC 1979 Triumph Spitfire (Sabrina)
    1968 Austin 3 Litre
    2004 Jaguar X-Type
    1967 Rover 2000 TC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I appreciate your insight. Great advice on the independent inspection. I would like to do a bit of the restoration myself, but (like everyone, I suppose) there are competing demands for my time. I'll do the routine maintenance myself and tackle the issues as they arrive. But this is my first foray into classic cars of any kind, so I don't even know what I don't know!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Brent,
    I believe that car is located in Nashville, TN and if it's the same one they are asking $29,995.00. You would do a lot better searching in your area and west since the climate is not so hard on these cars rust wise. Check craigslist, eBay, SearchTempest, etc.
    Rut
    https://phoenix.craigslist.org/searc..._model=Triumph
    Rut, '60 Bugeye, '70 MGB, '62 TR4, '66 TR4a IRS, '67 TR4a IRS, '68 TR4a IRS, '72 TR6

When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life. John Lennon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Brent, Welcome to the BCF. I know you will find lots of help here. I think $17 or $18 is high for that car. AC is not working; it would be best if you got someone local to the car that know Triumphs to have a look for you. Since you are new classic cars you might check out the Hagerty valuation tool for classic cars:
    https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/search/auto
    Also be sure to check out the trailing arms on the TR6 as they are prone to rust problems. Good luck and by all means ask plenty of questions here and this site and you will get good advice.
    Elliot
    Central PA
    1976 TR6 White/Biscuit interior SOLD
    1973 TR6 Damson Plum / Biscuit interior, HVDA 5-speed, Good Parts Hubs
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Brent - we live in a place that can be ideal for finding a rust-free example (provided it really lived most of its life here and not a recent transplant).

My preferred strategy (well, for all of three cars anyway) is to find an example in its original paint and as much of the rest as original as possible. Once a car has been repainted it can be hard to tell what lurks beneath unless the restoration was very well documented, whereas original paint means you are looking at exactly what it is. Shiny cars can even fool experts.

The TR6 you link to does indeed look good so far as one can tell from photos. If buying sight-unseen (not recommended but I have done so twice) I prefer to be talking to the owner and not a dealer. A lot harder for an owner to claim he doesn't know or plead ignorance later - plus most are basically honest.

Did you like that this car had AC at one point? I would assume the reactivation of the system is nowhere near as simple as the ad copy suggests - but not out of the question. Were it me I would allow at least $2,000 to get the system properly sorted by a good shop. Much less of course if you DIY.

If you have not already joined the Phoenix club - Desert Centre TRA - you might consider it or at least keep an eye on there newsletters for cars for sale:

https://www.dctra.org/

Triumphest is in Flag this year - whether you have a TR by then or not you might keep it in mind:

https://www.triumphest.com/

Brighton Motorsports in Scottsdale is a good outfit and get a TR6 once in awhile. None at the moment but they appear about to list a TR4:

https://brightonmotorsports.com/word...ollector-cars/

Good luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Welcome to the forum and the LBC addiction. If that is you in the pic the average age of us on the forum just went down by 5 years. Good to see someone young getting into this.
    Good choice in picking a TR6. Very nice car. Very straight. The only thing I see is there is a possibility of some rust through on the breast plate under the car where the 2 exhaust pipes run through. Looks like 2 holes. As Elliot said that is part of that critical area where the cross member is welded to the inner and outer frame and where the trailing arms bolt up to. Anyway there has to be some local LBC clubs around your area that you can get some help on inspection. Price seems a little high to me too but you should do some good looking in your area. There's got to be a bunch of rust free cars in your neck of the woods.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Got_All_4 View Post
    ...If that is you in the pic the average age of us on the forum just went down by 5 years...
    Yeah, I'm thinking about using my high school graduation pic for my avatar.

Or maybe the photo a friend called 'The Disco Love Bandit' (silk shirt & beads).

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Brent as said above I would look at the local Craigslist adds first. It will cost you a grand to get that car shipped back to AZ, and you will have to pay the tax on the car buying it from a dealer. Lots of TR6's for sale by private owners. I live in Gilbert and you would be welcome to come over and talk about TRs. I've owned my TR6 for 40 years. I would offer you a ride but the car is on stands to replace a leaking rear main seal.

Welcome to the group, and you should think about joining the DCTRA club, and looking into attending Triumphest in Flag in Sept.

Keith
    Keith D
    1974 TR6 been the owner of this car for 37 years.
    1956 TR3 car is being restored.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Without my glasses he looks like Prince Harry.
    DRIVE 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If it is indeed priced at 30k I would shop around, as stated price for these is all over the map, and, as I suspect with a lot of old cars lately, auction fever, as in "I saw one of these go for 40k at Barrett Jackson" seems to have gripped much of the selling public, and the big asks are not necessarilly what they are bringing.

I think if you shop in the 12-18k range you will see some lipstick on a pig cars, but with patience can find the nice driver you are looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fantastic advice by everyone - thank you. And, I'm not THAT young - a few weeks shy of 44. The first car I fell in love with was a Jag XKE, and this was in the 1980's when most kids who were my age at the time had the iconic Lamborghini Countach poster on their bedroom walls (OK, I had that one too . . . )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

There are SO many TR6s around, I think you won't have much trouble finding what you want. Don't be in a hurry, look around, see what is available.

I'm totally uncalibrated on prices for these, but since they are a lot available, they really shouldn't be that expensive. For pricing, Hagerty is a good place to start, but I think their numbers are a little high, as they are weighted a bit by auctions and dealer sales, which often are fairly high.
    Steve Maas
    1966 Triumph TR4A, undergoing restoration: http://www.nonlintec.com/tr4a
    1952 MG TD, restoration completed 2014, sold 2016: http://www.nonlintec.com/mgtd
    1960 Austin-Healey "Bugeye" Sprite, sold 2010: http://www.nonlintec.com/sprite
    1967 Porsche 912: http://www.nonlintec.com/porsche

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

No overdrive? Brown with an orange interior? You'd better be right on the money with this one ! Take the book and throw it away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brinkerhoff View Post
    No overdrive?...
    Good point.

Brent - where you live (and where I live) the optional electric overdrive is a nice feature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just put a Atype in my TR3 and has transformed the highway drive-ability of that car. Winter project for the 250 is I have a Jtype that needs the overdrive updated. I rebuilt the gearbox 2 years ago then probably put it in in the spring.

Geo if I use my graduation pic it would be black and white and everyone would know!

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Brent are you still looking for TR6? The DCTRA.org newsletter this month has a nice Green TR6, and a Yellow TR250 that would be local for you. I have no connection to the sellers other than being fellow club members.
    Keith D
    1974 TR6 been the owner of this car for 37 years.
    1956 TR3 car is being restored.