• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

RIP Eric Broadley, founder of Lola

Elva164

Jedi Trainee
I was sad to hear this, though 88 is a pretty good run. If you like auto racing at all, you owe a lot to this man. One of the greatest designers/team owners ever.

https://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129841

Article said:
From the 1958 Lola Mk1, which was created using his ÂŁ2000 savings and designed and built at a ramshackle West Byfleet workshop, to the mighty Lola T70s of the 1960s, the fearsome F5000 cars of the 1970s, and the customer Group C and F1 cars of the 70s and 80s, Broadley and his team created some of racing's most iconic designs.

Lola's record at Indianapolis was the best of any overseas constructor from the 1960s to the 1990s. Graham Hill (pictured with Broadley below) became the first English driver to win at the Brickyard in 1966 with the Lola T90 Red Ball Special, while Al Unser Snr took the 500-mile triple crown - Indy, Pocono and Ontario - in a Lola T500 in 1978.

His achievements as the brains behind Lola are staggering, and it says much for his benign and quirky personality that he was known as the 'engineer's engineer' rather than an effervescent personality such as Colin Chapman, Ken Tyrrell or Ron Dennis.

Eric:

788698e252ecf3443793f7e6b2426303.jpg

The National Champion Lola Mk1 we take care of:

20160206_102202_1470960094449_d800.jpg

20160206_102241_1470960095489_d800.jpg

The Mk6, father of the GT40:

Lola_MK6_GT_Car_14.jpg

Lola_MK6_GT_Car_2.jpg

Arguably the most famous Lola, the T70:

surtees%20lola%20t70.jpg

PI28218-hr.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Not to denigrate the import of E. Broadly's contribution, nor the sadness of his passing, I gottta throw this in the mix: Colin Chapman and Jim Clark

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
Sad to hear this. I've always thought that Mk 1 Lola was a wonderful little car, even though it was the "enemy" when we had our clapped out Lotus Eleven ~way~ back when.

I thought Oliver Schmitt's Lola-OSCA came as close to perfection aesthetically as any race car I ever saw. Beautiful car, beautiful engine. There's a web page showing it here. (I took the picture that's below the builders plate at Thompson - I was surprised to see it when I googled the car just now.)

Whatever Lola wants....

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Little Lola wants YOU...." :devilgrin:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And Jim C. was a driver with "simpatico" with th' equipment. Not an "engineer" like Broadley. Just sayin' the Chapman/Clark symbiotic partnership made for a 1965 Indy win.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
That's when sports cars looked like sports cars and not spaceships...But race cars today are much safer. Anyone see that picture of Scott Dixon's car flying through the air? And he walked away with a twisted ankle. No longer can we say there are two kinds of race drivers - those who get killed before they are good and those that get killed afterwards.