• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Hi Everyone

Raine

Freshman Member
I'm brand new to the forum and I only know two things about cars:
1. I fell in love with the early 60's style MGB in high school and always wanted a green one.
2. I saw an ad two weeks ago for a green 1967 MGB and I bought her.
I'm pretty sure I'm in way over my head and I probably paid too much for her since I'm finding new rust spots every day:scared:. I would love to keep her but I think I'll enjoy driving her all summer and sell her in the fall to someone who can lovingly restore her to her original beauty. I have fallen in love with the MGB and will probably try to buy another one that is already restored to replace her. I just know the first two days I drove her I smiled more than I have in years! That smile and amazing feeling of driving an MGB is worth every penny I may lose :cool:. No regrets!!!!!

Raine (non car girl)

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum Raine. I had always coveted pretty much any little British sports car, and ended up with an TR3B because the newer ones did not have the lovely cut-down doors. I enjoyed my years of ownership although my mechanical skills were lacking. I found a good shop to guide me, and did a few smaller jobs myself. The members here did a wonderful job helping me maintain Fagin until I needed to move one because I no longer had garage space. Then I even sold the car to a member here who could properly respect the car. You may find that you do fine and hang on to your new partner for many years to come. No matter what you do, be sure to continue to enjoy the ride.

OP
R

Raine

Freshman Member
Hi David,
Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm originally from Harrisburg, PA so I know the Leigh Valley and I miss the area very much�� I'll keep the group posted on my endeavors with my Gumby car.
Raine

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome to the BCF Raine! You've come to the right place.

Your plan to just drive your newly acquired MGB and worry about rust and such issues later is probably sound. Don't let another summer slip by without enjoying the car you've wanted for so long.

There is much wisdom in the advice to buy a car that is already in the condition you want, so while you're driving your current one this summer you can begin shopping for that perfect-for-you example. It's out there.

OP
R

Raine

Freshman Member
Thanks Reid. I just spent the whole day driving around in the MGB and I'm so happy. These little British cars just make you feel good. There is nothing more enjoyable than seeing the smile on people's faces as you motor past them on the highway. Twice today, I was stopped by people who shared their past ownership of an MG. I'm smitten.
Raine

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hi Raine and welcome to BCF.

I suspect you know this already, but I want to emphasize the point: There is no reason the car has to be "restored" to enjoy unless that is the way YOU want it. There are many measures you can take that don't require any previous knowledge, and while some purists might sneer at the spit & bubble gum, the car will still be fun to drive.

I drove my previous TR3A a lot of years with the floorboards being mostly made up of a combination of fiberglass cloth (which is surprisingly easy to apply) and roofing tin held with sheet metal screws. A trip to the local cheap paint shop (equivalent to MAACO) filled some other rust holes (and dents) and put on a coat of paint that lasted for quite a few years. My current TR3 lacks the rusty floorboards, but is still wearing a MAACO paint job.
TR3%20front.jpg~original