• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Front Exhaust Bracket Help

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
First off, I do have a TR4 but I am doing the HVDA conversion on it. With that said, the stock front exhaust bracket bolted to the transmission of the TR4 but being I'm replacing the transmission with a Toyota unit that bracket can't be used. My question is, could I use a TR3 bracket and where does it bolt up? Does it bolt to the frame or does it also bolt up to the transmission or transmission mount like the TR4? I know some have used the TR4 mount on the TR3-3A but looks like I need to go backwards. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Gary,

The front exhaust mount on my 60 TR3A does mount to the frame on both sides, not to the tranny.

Cheers
Tush

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
IMHO...you will need to custom make a bracket attached to the transmission so that the exhaust piping is in sync with any movement/vibration of the engine.

OP
G

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
You wouldn't have any pictures would you? I've looked and can't find one anywhere. Or I'm just not good at searching! HAHA

Hi Gary,

The front exhaust mount on my 60 TR3A does mount to the frame on both sides, not to the tranny.

Cheers
Tush

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Gary...

How about some video? Best I can do, sorry.

This was from when I was trying to figure out what to do with my exhaust.

https://youtu.be/SEJ1IiOFIUM

Cheers
Tush

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Gary,
I do have 2 TR4s with the HDVA conversions. First I will say that the holes are in the TR4 frame to be able to use the standard TR 3 type exhaust mount. It is just forward of the center box of the frame But What I did was to make my own bracket. I put it behind the center box of the frame. At this location there are two body mounting bolts that screw into welded nuts on the underside of the frame. I attached a piece of angle iron between these bolts by putting a longer bolt from the top and adding a nut to hold it up. I then made a loop around the exhaust pipe like a clamp. And suspended a bolt down from the angle iron to the clamp. I did add a rubber buffer to that bolt / clamp to prevent vibrations.
I do not remember why I did not use the TR3 style bracket. Maybe I did not have one at the time.
Charley

OP
G

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
That helped! Thank you. At least I know what clamp to get. I'll have to look at my frame tomorrow to see how it mounts. Looks like the arm goes to the drivers side of the frame. Looking at Moss it takes a bracket and some grommets. Not cheap, but would rather use some sort of OEM stuff than try and make up my own bracket. I MAY still try and use the TR4 bracket but put an extra piece of iron between the tranny mounts and that.

But what malbaby says above actually makes more sense as it allows the exhaust to move with the engine since the bracket would be mounted to the transmission. I'd have to look at the Toyota tranny again to see if their is any kind of mounting point. I don't think there is tho. But maybe the TR3 bracket has enough movement and/or flex to allow that.

Hi Gary...

How about some video? Best I can do, sorry.

This was from when I was trying to figure out what to do with my exhaust.

https://youtu.be/SEJ1IiOFIUM

Cheers
Tush

OP
G

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My search skills obviously aren't up to par! HAHA I searched TR3 exhaust bracket and that didn't come up. But a new one from Moss is $25.99 so may as well just go that route as I can have it sooner. Hoping to get engine/tranny and exhaust all bolted up by this weekend. I did look at my frame this morning and the passenger side hole is higher than the drivers side hole in the frame. And looking at that ebay bracket that makes sense. I'm sure I'll have to make some trips to the store to find the right bolts for it. Anyone know what size goes in each end and the clamp itself? Thanks all!

This is likely the one you want.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-TR3-New-Front-Muffler-Bracket-812-020-/311873141578?nav=SEARCH

There was an earlier one, but I haven't seen it available anywhere. Also, I have not checked to see if this ebay item is a good price or not...

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
There are actually rubber grommets that go on the frame, and then the bolts go through the bracket and grommets to prevent rattling.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Gary,
I have a muffler brace set up to go on a TR3 that I am working on. I will get the info for you tomorrow. I can tell you that the grommets (4 needed) are the same as the ones used for the radiator support rods on the TR4. You need those to isolate vibrations between the frame and exhaust pipe.
I my opinion the cause of most noise is from the exhaust pipe rubbing on the center box of the frame. If you were to allow the exhaust pipe to be able "to move around" with the engine and transmission you are asking for the pipe to rub on that center box.
Charley

OP
G

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
There are actually rubber grommets that go on the frame, and then the bolts go through the bracket and grommets to prevent rattling.

Ah, OK...that makes sense. Well I ordered it all from Moss and will be here tomorrow. I'll be sure to post up some pics of it all when I'm done. Hopefully sometime next week!

OP
G

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Gary,
I have a muffler brace set up to go on a TR3 that I am working on. I will get the info for you tomorrow. I can tell you that the grommets (4 needed) are the same as the ones used for the radiator support rods on the TR4. You need those to isolate vibrations between the frame and exhaust pipe.
I my opinion the cause of most noise is from the exhaust pipe rubbing on the center box of the frame. If you were to allow the exhaust pipe to be able "to move around" with the engine and transmission you are asking for the pipe to rub on that center box.
Charley

Thanks Charley! I think I'm set, but it might be a good idea to see how everything looks and what size bolts I would need for everything so I can head over to the local Orchard...yet again...to pick up nuts and bolts. I think I'll go stainless on these.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Gary,
The two bolts are 2-1/2" plus the 1" clamping bolt all 5/16" diameter, 4 to 6 flat washers and of course the four grommets and three nuts. Note that these grommets are flat on one side and stepped on the other side. That is so they fit into the holes in the side of the frame.
Charley 2017-05-17 10.20.52.jpg

OP
G

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Great!!! Thank you Charley! That is a huge help as I wanted to make a trip to the hardware store at lunch today!

Gary,
The two bolts are 2-1/2" plus the 1" clamping bolt all 5/16" diameter, 4 to 6 flat washers and of course the four grommets and three nuts. Note that these grommets are flat on one side and stepped on the other side. That is so they fit into the holes in the side of the frame.
CharleyView attachment 48580