• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 soft top frame dimensions

IanIrving

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I'm trying to install a new mohair soft top bought from AH Spares on to my BJ8. I assumed the distances between the top bows would be the same as on the old vinyl top I removed so didn't detach the webbing straps but having laid the new top onto those bows as positioned, they do not seem correctly spaced. I searched this site for dimensions and came up with 201/2" first to 2nd. 10" 2nd to 3rd and 71/4 " 3rd to the back bow but the installation instructions those dimensions came from, (15-14710 which looks like it might be a Moss number) stated they were for a specific soft top and again they don't look quite right. Has anyone fitted or had fitted a mohair soft top from AH Spares to their BJ8 who can give me the dimensions from their car please.

any help appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

Country flag
Ian,
just installed canvas top on my BJ8. I wouldn't count on using the existing webbing. Different tops , different lenght webbing. Suggest installing top to the rear frame and working forward. You stretch the top out over the bows after rear frame is in place and adjust bows to fit top. I tied string to both side of bows to hold inplace until I could install webbing. Not as hard to do as it seems.
Marv

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ian

I have had my vinyl top off to repair the hoops, and on replacing it I marked out the centre lines front and back of the top, and also on the windscreen and the chrome strip around the rear. I used string to space out the hoops but if I remember correctly I had the webbings fitted to one of the hoops so that it could be fitted into the front bow and the rear one at a later date. The top was first fixed around the rear of the side screens with one or two tacks to make sure that the window were not compromised. I then put some temporary tacks into the front bow to hold the front of the top, and with the rear fixing bow in position I pulled the top down and marked the top where it touched the rear bow with crayon so that I could then remove the rear bow and fit the rear of the top onto the bow with clips. It can be a bit of a trial and error system but I managed it first time with fair results, you then pull the front over the wooden bow properly and fix it.

You will need to move your frames around a bit before finally fixing down the top.

Good luck

:cheers:

Bob

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Forget the measument idea . Secure the new top at the rear to the drain channel etc with the rear window in the correct position /height from the chrome rail . There maybe white guide marks on the new top . Once you have the rear secured stretch the top out over the support bows and secure the front header rail etc . Then play with the position of the movable bows to get the correct top shape . Look at the car top up from the side and you will just know when it looks right and the seams in the top fabric are also clues as to the bows positions . Mark the bow positions and do the webbing to suit . Done , enjoy the fruits of your labour .

OP
I

IanIrving

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks for that information chaps, job done and reasonably satisfied for a first time. I think I might have had a slightly better finish if I'd changed the slope of the windscreen marginally to take the top forward slightly so I could change the side windows to lift the back edges a bit. Might revisit the job at a later date.
Thanks again for the advice.

Ian