• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

100 Heater

simon1966

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Here is the heater that came out of my 100. It has been in the car since at least 84 when I purchased it. My Heritage says it was delivered with a heater. I have always assumed it to be original. What do the experts think? Are their letters missing from the logo/badge? This car is a RHD UK market car. The reason for even asking the question is that the few photos of heaters that I have found on-line don't seem to have this emblem.

IMG_9317.jpgIMG_9318.jpgIMG_9319.jpg

CraigC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Your heater does look just like mine with the exception of that raised emblem and the knob. The knob looks thicker than my original did. It also looks like that emblem is just glued on. Mine also has the same upside down recessed bell as yours. Does yours have "Smiths Motor Accessories " in raised letters on the face of the larger diameter section in a spot that would be at the bottom with heater installed?

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
What Craig says × 2

Country flag
Hmmmm ... Looks like an original 'Smiths' logo/patch was painted over; other parts look similar to the one in our BN2. It's late; I'll have a look tomorrow.

OP
simon1966

simon1966

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
It is up at my restorer, so I can't see any other markings. Who knows what happened to this car between Nov 54 and July 84 when I purchased it. It went from Healey Blue to white to red. The windshield was completely replaced as the numbers don't match. The interior was redone at least once. The gear box was swapped for a BN2. So anything could have happened to the heater. Thanks for the input. I think I'll keep it how it is for now.

RCarr

Silver
Country flag
For what it's worth here's a couple of photos of the heater out of my March 1954 BN1. The car was torn down in the mid 80's, 2 owners back from me and he kept all other matching numbers original parts in pretty good order so I think this is original, but I'm no expert. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• BN1heater.jpg
    BN1heater.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 89
  • BN1heater2.jpg
    BN1heater2.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 85
Country flag
Mine looks like RCarr's. I think you have the correct heater excepting the knob--available from the usual suspects--and that funky emblem. That appears to be the original Smith's logo under some paint; you might try to restore that as I don't think repops are available.

TodE

Jedi Hopeful
Moss sells the logo. My 1955 BN-1 looks like RCars. I never have seen one with that funky logo. Same heater is in a Triumph TR-3. I restored mine. It is not hard. I bead blasted the case, powder coated it with black wrinkle power. (ACE sells black wrinkle paint in a rattle can) Replaced the motor off Ebay, Sprayed the coil, polished the knob on a buffer wheel with fine polish, painted the letters with white paint applied the new logo. Looks great!

Good Luck!

Last edited:
OP
simon1966

simon1966

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I corresponded with Tom Kovacs about this and have decided that the weird logo is going to stay on the heater. Why a UK spec car that spent the first 30 years of its life in Manchester should have a Cadillac emblem on the heater is beyond me, but it is part of the cars history, just like the BN2 4 speed box, so will stay in place.