• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Top frame pinching soft top - BJ8

Chris_Masucci

Hi folks,

It's been about two years since I installed my soft top. It is a vinyl one. I spent a lot of time getting the top frame to fit right, however, when I fold the top down it seems that it always pinches the material, no matter how I try to keep if from doing so. It seems it is being pinched between the top mechanism on the side right above the door window openings. I can put rags around the frame where the pieces scissor together and try to keep the material out of the way, but no matter what I do it still seems to try and slice something.

Is the top frame meant to be mounted with the mechanism squeezed towards the center of the car, as in a smaller distance between the mounting flanges vs. when uninstalled or something?

Anyone have similar issues before and how did you remedy the situation?

Thanks,
Chris

Goldie

Country flag
I have a canvas top and mine will do the same thing unless I do the following. I leave the top about half up. I then go to each side and I pull the top material away from the area where it get crimped. You may have to pull it so it makes a fold out and away from the frame. I had the same problem and almost cut through the canvas before I realized what was happening. The key is to pull the material out away from the frame on the corners with it about half way down. I take my top down about this time of year and go with a tonneau cover until about November in North Carolina. I have not had any problems since I started paying attention to those problem areas.

bdcvg

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Pics might help. I think I know where You mean but not sure. There are a few things You may try or may already be doing. I unzip the window and curl it down into the space behind the parcel shelf. I make sure the 2 forward most rails tuck against each other. At about 2\3rds down I reach a hand at the corners of the top storage area and slide the triangle of material that has collected down so that it too is behind the rear seatback. They will curl like the window and store almost vertically. I make sure the rain gutter flaps are inside the chrome surround trim by the rain gutters. By this time the top is very flat. I pull the hinges that will be stored right behind Your left ear and the Pass. right ear outward and They will sink down another inch and stay put . They rub against the inside of that storage area but there is (on My interior anyway) aluminum behind the vinyl so it won't get far past the vinyl. No offense to the above post but the easiest way to shorten Your tops life is to leave it down for long periods of time, They shrink very quickly and will leave a gap at the top of the windshield. I put Mine back up after every drive.

IanIrving

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
My top frame is doing nothing at the moment, its bare and repainted ready to install a new soft top on my BJ8, a mohair top from AH Spares. I'm looking for info on the install and have looked at AUSMHLY's article pointing to many links but none of the photos will open.https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?79883-BJ7-BJ8-Convertible-top-Q-amp-A

It's an old post from 2010 but people seem to agree his soft top installation was very well done so I'd like to use that resource if I can.

Can someone please point me to a site with pictures particularly how the top bow and side timbers should look relative to the window glasses, mine seem all over the place but there doesn't seem to be any slop in the pivot pins.

If anyone has done this job and can share experiences my email is oui3@orange.fr

Thanks

Ian

OP
C

Chris_Masucci

Thanks for the tips guys. I really do try and push the top material away from the frame as I fold it. This has happened since day one, so something is wrong. It is fine until the last inch or so, and then it just wants to slice. I've attached some pics in case they might help.
IMG_5725.jpg
IMG_5733.jpg
IMG_5726.jpg
IMG_5727.jpg

RAC68

Darth Vader
Chris,

This is a condition that is very common to Convertibles and, as others suggest, makes folding the top a slow and careful process. Although your issue seems higher on the side then is usual, the cause is often inflicted lower on the side and is caused by the scissor effect of the frame's closing.

I caused the first cut in my top on the day I picked up the new Healey and put the top down. I installed a new top in around 1972 (still in great condition) and, although I now was aware of this issue and being very careful, still put small cuts into the replacement. As you have described, the last few inches are the closing is when you must be extremely carful and, moving from side to side, put your hand down each side to make sure the top hasn't moved into the path of the closing frame (which is its natural folding tendency).

Good luck and keep being careful and don't push the top down hard,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Goldie

Country flag
Correct. Move back and forth on each side making sure the top material does not get pinched in the frame as you fold it down. Pull the corners away as you close the top. It usually takes me 2 or 3 times back and forth to make sure it doesn't scissor the top.
There is just enough slack for me to keep it out of the frame when it closes.