• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Internet Acronyms

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Are we that lazy that we can't type out words?

I know what FWIW means (after having someone explain it to me).

Lately I've run across a new one: IYI. IF YOU'RE INTERESTED, I had to do a Google search, which I normally don't mind, but it took me longer than it would've taken the person who posted to type out the three words!

(I know: I'm old and becoming the curmudgeon I aspire to be...)

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It's not only the written word.....
I was officiating a U15 girls soccer game and blew my whistle for a foul. The player responded with some dissenting words.
I said "excuse me". Her response was "JK, JK". I had no idea what she was talking about until I asked my assistant referee.
Translation: Just Kidding.

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I do admire anyone who can achieve their ambitions, being an accomplished curmudgeon is definitely a worthy one. Internet abbreviations are kind of a case of the more things change the more they are the same. The international Q code was used in the early days of radio telegraphy later adopted and modified for cw use by ham operators. Hams developed their own language of abbreviations for words and short sentences. So, if it's old, it's ok? I think so.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
FYI, in the military I got used to using acronyms. In any writing I did, I had to spell out the acronym the first time used, unless it was a common acronym that most people would /should understand (e.g., FAA, DoD, USAF, USMC, SAF, etc).

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Internet acronyms and mothers can be a problem...

4d6c21debf1ae.jpg

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Roflmao

Funny, I typed that in all caps twice but the forum editor changed it for me?

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Don't get me started I work for GE General Electric we have a dictionary of three and four letter company acronyms
isnt the idea sort of lost when you need a dictionary for the time savings.
its even broken down by division because they can mean different things across them aero electrical water health blah blah blah . Hate it too much brian damage. then there are people that will "correct" you when you don't use them.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Don't get me started I work for GE General Electric we have a dictionary of three and four letter company acronyms
isnt the idea sort of lost when you need a dictionary for the time savings.
its even broken down by division because they can mean different things across them aero electrical water health blah blah blah . Hate it too much brian damage. then there are people that will "correct" you when you don't use them.

I feel your pain. When I was a Defense Contractor I had a huge black binder on my desk that was for all the acronyms for the program I was working.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
FYI, in the military I got used to using acronyms. In any writing I did, I had to spell out the acronym the first time used, unless it was a common acronym that most people would /should understand (e.g., FAA, DoD, USAF, USMC, SAF, etc).

Geez, that brought back memories. I worked at one of the tenant commands at Bethesda Naval Hospital during my summer & winter breaks while in college. Of course, you couldn't call it "Bethesda". Then it was NAVMEDCOM NATCAPREG - which was short for Naval Medical Command, National Capital Region. Later, it reverted back to NNMC - National Naval Medical Center, and MEDCOM reverted to BUMED - Bureau of Medicine and Surgery. The command I worked for was HSETC (pronounced H-Set-See), the Naval Health Sciences Education and Training Command. The command was later merged with NSHS - Naval School of Health Sciences. The fact that I can remember all these acronyms over 25 years later shows how much they were ingrained into us.

Answering the phone, we had to use the full name. It would be a good 10 to 15 seconds before someone could get in a word otherwise "Good morning, Naval Health Sciences Education and Training Command, Administrative Office. You are speaking on a Non-secure line. Mr. Cohen speaking. How can I help you?" I thought it was neat when I'd talk to people in Australia or Okinawa over the phone.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Geez, that brought back memories. I worked at one of the tenant commands at Bethesda Naval Hospital during my summer & winter breaks while in college. Of course, you couldn't call it "Bethesda". Then it was NAVMEDCOM NATCAPREG - which was short for Naval Medical Command, National Capital Region. Later, it reverted back to NNMC - National Naval Medical Center, and MEDCOM reverted to BUMED - Bureau of Medicine and Surgery. The command I worked for was HSETC (pronounced H-Set-See), the Naval Health Sciences Education and Training Command. The command was later merged with NSHS - Naval School of Health Sciences. The fact that I can remember all these acronyms over 25 years later shows how much they were ingrained into us.

Answering the phone, we had to use the full name. It would be a good 10 to 15 seconds before someone could get in a word otherwise "Good morning, Naval Health Sciences Education and Training Command, Administrative Office. You are speaking on a Non-secure line. Mr. Cohen speaking. How can I help you?" I thought it was neat when I'd talk to people in Australia or Okinawa over the phone.

The Navy is the worst of all! COMPACNAVCINCPACTOFORLOLROTFLMAO

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I feel your pain. When I was a Defense Contractor I had a huge black binder on my desk that was for all the acronyms for the program I was working.
That's right, you need the "code book". It reminds me of the Marx Brothers "A Day at the Races" when Groucho buys a horse betting guide.....

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
The Navy is the worst of all! COMPACNAVCINCPACTOFORLOLROTFLMAO

It was so silly that they sent out a set of guidelines on how to write more simply, as they felt time and productivity was being wasted on memorandums that were unnecessarily wordy:

You'd get something like: "By the direction of the Commanding Officer and in accordance with NAVMEDCOM Regulation 6210.13b, you are hereby ordered to comply with the aforementioned regulation dealing with the disposal of human waste products in the head facilities that are under the supervision of this Command"....when all you needed to say was "Flush the toilet after you've done your business".

Good times. It was a very eye opening experience for a 19 year old college student.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
It was so silly that they sent out a set of guidelines on how to write more simply, as they felt time and productivity was being wasted on memorandums that were unnecessarily wordy:

You'd get something like: "By the direction of the Commanding Officer and in accordance with NAVMEDCOM Regulation 6210.13b, you are hereby ordered to comply with the aforementioned regulation dealing with the disposal of human waste products in the head facilities that are under the supervision of this Command"....when all you needed to say was "Flush the toilet after you've done your business".

Good times. It was a very eye opening experience for a 19 year old college student.

That's funny!