Thread: First show of the year - and a diagnostic question.

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

First show of the year - and a diagnostic question.

Well friends, a gorgeous day today in Southern Ontario and EVERYBODY is out! I have seen everything from a 1919 Model T to a brand to new Lambo (I prefer the T!) to a stunning Herbie the Love Bug. And of course it was the first show/swap meet of the year so there were about 400 LBCs. lots of fun! I also managed to get some parts I needed for the Vauxhall - including - finally a brand new door mirror that matches the holes of the old.

Last you you may recall that I almost made it to this show before I spat out a bolt in the oil pan and prevented rust on the bottom of the car and a decent section of her majesty's highway.

This year I made it there and back under my own steam. That said, there was an issue. As I was coming home - on the highway - so about 60 mph. the car started to jerk/hesitate some. I am deliberately using vague words since I don't want to direct the conversation with my diagnostic musings. It felt more like the car was firing on three cylinders though than (let's say) the clutch slipping. The instruments did not really reflect any different - oil pressure the same, temp likewise - I didn't really seem to have to push the gas harder to keep my speed up and tach was not jumpy. I drove like this for about 3 miles until I came to a convenient exit for me to drive the rest of the way home off the highway - and as soon as I was off the highway, (40 mph) it went away.

This has happened a couple of times before. The first, a few years ago, was another highway trip - and I had to drive that way for about half an hour - It didn't start until I had been driving for over an hour (likewise today it didn't happen on the 45 minute drive out - but on the 45 minute drive back.)

The second time was too and from the Spridget 50th in Wisconsin - where I literally drove hours both way experiencing this.

Any ideas?

BTW 1500 engine running a sing MGB SU (HS4?) electronic ignition (factory) I just refilled the tank with premium gas as I started my journey back (about 1/2 an hour earlier). I have not pulled plugs or anything - and off the top of my head, I do know I have one odd plug wire but, I think that was swapped in after my two previous experience.
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: First show of the year - and a diagnostic question.

JP
    To me it sounds like your fuel pump is on the way out. What pump are you running?
    BillM
    '69 Sprite Mk IV
    '60 MGA
    '65 Midget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Billm View Post
    JP
    To me it sounds like your fuel pump is on the way out. What pump are you running?
    BillM
    Mechanical pump - it is a replacement pump and have been using if for about 5 years - but why would it work and then not and then again for very long times
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JPSmit View Post
    Mechanical pump - it is a replacement pump and have been using if for about 5 years - but why would it work and then not and then again for very long times

-because it is English?-
    BillM
    '69 Sprite Mk IV
    '60 MGA
    '65 Midget

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

An intermittent electrical gremlin with the coil. I was told it's ALWAYS the coil, lol.

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JPSmit View Post

refer to my thread titled "mechanical fuel pump"!!! Don't buy another one of those replacement fuel pumps that are currently available! Find an original AC fuel pump on eBay or a swap meet or someplace then rebuild it with a kit from classic carburetors in Australia https://Classic carbs.com.au
    Part#900.631VC.
    sorry if I sound overly emotional .
    mark
    Mark Berry
    AN5L/31880(back together after nine years of rebuild)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Speaking of the first show of the year... The Portland All British SWOP meet is this coming Sunday. Always held on the last Sunday of April at Montgomery Park. My red thing will be there (weather permitting) with it's FOR SALE SIGN. .. ... Make an offer now if you're interested.? .. (or does this last sentence violate the rules of the forum? .. OOPS if it does)
    Bill L.

1966 Sprite MK III - "the red thing"
    HAN8L49403

President, Pacific Northwest Chapter,
    Sprite Midget Club, USA
    (Excepting Greater Seattle)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Rotor ,condenser /if electronic ign. Below 11.5 volts?
    Door handles,Bootlid,Glovebox all fads
    59 sprite

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Original electronic ignition? If that is the Opus unit that is on the B's, I heard they are complete garbage. The factory had so many problems with them that they eventually put GM Delco modules in them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1974MGMidget View Post
    Original electronic ignition? If that is the Opus unit that is on the B's, I heard they are complete garbage. The factory had so many problems with them that they eventually put GM Delco modules in them.
    this is the Delco (Chevette!) unit - Jeff Schlemmer assures me it is bulletproof
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I'm with Bill.....fuel pump....or partially plugged delivery somewhere along the way? Gas tank vent?? My driver does the same when I have a particularly long hill that I try to accelerate up. I'm blaming it on my home made vented cap as of now and haven't gotten around to trying to eliminate it since its seldom a problem.

Kurt.
    65,66 Midget
    57 Berkeley, MGA
    Working on quality rather than quantity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomad View Post
    I'm with Bill.....fuel pump....or partially plugged delivery somewhere along the way? Gas tank vent?? My driver does the same when I have a particularly long hill that I try to accelerate up. I'm blaming it on my home made vented cap as of now and haven't gotten around to trying to eliminate it since its seldom a problem.

Kurt.
    I have a loose lemans cap so that won't be the problem. I am however thinking about a new fuel filter.
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT